Director of Communications - London
Here's your chance to use your skills to work on something meaningful, which has the potential to make the world a better place. To tell the world about the good things we are doing, and to help facilitate our rapid growth, we are looking for an experienced, creative and entrepreneurial communications expert to run our public relations and communications efforts beyond the recognition we already receiveorganically. You will develop powerful, consistent messaging and communicate it through all relevant channels in order to spread awareness to current and target users and the academic, publishing, tech, business and investing communities at large. Mendeley is the most disruptive force in the history of academic publishing! Every week tens of thousands new members join our service adding millions of research papers making Mendeley one of the world's biggest research collaboration platforms and crowd-sourced academic databases.
- Conceptualize, implement and execute Mendeley’s public relations and communications strategy, including our social channels (Twitter, Facebook, Blog, etc.)
- Create compelling, relevant content (news, stories, blog posts, etc.) engage Mendeley’s target audiences (tech, academia and general public)
- You’ll have to ask the right questions, and you’ll have to like data - dig into our database via SQL to find the cool stuff: e.g. http://www.mendeley.com/blog/highlighting-research/the-top-10-papers-in-biological-sciences-by-mendeley-readership/ Maybe there are even more interesting questions to ask - are US scientists more productive that European scientists? Which disciplines get the biggest coverage compared to their research output? Etc.
- Develop relationships with key media, bloggers and influencers in order to generate coverage, contribute content and/or build links back to Mendeley’s blog, website and other pages
- Build on and expand Mendeley’s industry thought leadership
- Establish, track and report on KPIs
What you should bring
- Minimum 5 years of relevant communications/writing experience as a communications specialist in the academic or tech industry
- Existing network of relevant contacts
- Expertise in social media engagement, incl. Facebook, Twitter and Blogs
- Adept at generating big ideas and compelling content (e.g. by analyzing Mendeley’s usage stats to create data-driven blog posts similar to OKCupid’s)
- Ability to think strategically, from creating branding and social media strategies to ensuring all communications efforts align with marketing and/or company strategies and objectives
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, Marketing, Public Relations, Communications or related field
- Strong evidence of entrepreneurial spirit - start-up experience a plus
What we offer you
- Central position in informing and driving the direction of an inspiring product and business within a market that influences society and determines its future
- Work on a project that will make researchers’ and scientists’ lives happier
- Award winning, well-funded start-up with a bright team guided by experienced entrepreneurs
- 25 holidays, Private Health Care, Child vouchers
- Competitive salary and company stock options
- A cycle to work scheme, £1k referral scheme and monthly team nights out
- Central London office with free coffee/tea and breakfast, roof terrace, bean bags, foosball table, and Friday Beer O’Clock
Preferred start date: 1-3 months or ideally asap. At this point in time we can only accept people eligible to work in the UK.
If you are interested, send your CV and cover letter to jobs [at] mendeley [dot] com. If you are selected for an interview, we will let you know within two weeks.