Senior Java Developer - London
Mendeley is revolutionizing how research is done. We have won awards such as “Best Social Innovation Which Benefits Society”. We have world-class technology and a product that our customers love. With over 2 million users and a crowd-sourced library of over 400 million user documents we handle a large volume of data. Having been recently acquired we’re now backed by a resourceful company that fully supports our vision, gives us the opportunity to drive change and have impact on a much larger scale.
Mendeley are looking for an experienced software engineer. You'll be writing Java, and using modern, interesting tools like Hadoop, AWS and Git. You will be working closely with other teams to build a platform for all the products Mendeley creates, including our data science systems such as recommendations, catalogue crowdsourcing, article deduplication,personalised search.
We have a commitment to high quality software and processes, and you'll be expected to contribute to the development of both. There is no-one else in the world of research who has more articles or social data than we do; with TB of data and millions of users Mendeley is the largest and most dynamic research collaboration platform in the world.
- Develop high quality services for use internally and externally
- Work with other teams to help them build excellent and reliable products
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement
What you’ll be doing
- Agile software development (XP, including TDD and pair programming)
- Implementing large-scale distributed systems
- Big data (Hadoop ecosystem) and cloud computing
What you should bring
- Relevant degree and 3+ years commercial Java, back-end systems using TDD.Experience of other JVM languages is a bonus
- Whole software lifecycle experience (idea → operations)
- Willingness to learn Hadoop, and ideally some experience
- English spoken & written to high standard, desire for quality, attention to detail, be able to work in a team
What we offer
- A great learning opportunity
- Work in a motivated, fast-moving team
- Our engineers regularly travel to relevant conferences and network with great contributors in their fields
- We also offer space for you to add your knowledge, skill and expertise to the team, and the company as a whole, without being rigid or inflexible about the way things need to be done
- Explicit commitment to high quality software engineering
- Competitive salary
- Benefits (Pension Scheme, 25 days holidays, Staff discounts and season travel tickets, Private Healthcare, Cycle to work scheme, Free Breakfast, Friday Beer O’clocks, Annual Events, Team building activities, etc.)
If you are interested, send your CV and cover letter to jobs [at] mendeley [dot] com. If you are selected for an interview, we will let you know within two weeks.