Java Developer - London
Mendeley is an award winning startup that’s revolutionizing how research is done. We’ve won awards such as “Start-up of the year” and “Best Social Innovation Which Benefits Society”. We have world-class technology and a product that our customers love. With 1.8 million users, a crowd-sourced library of over 280 million papers, and 40+ FTEs and offices in London (HQ) and New York, we are looking for a Java developer. You'll be writing Java, and using modern, interesting tools like Hadoop, AWS and Git. You'll be capable of being left alone to get on with coding, but enjoy working in pairs on challenging problems.
We have a commitment to high quality software and processes, and you'll be expected to contribute to the development of both. With TB of data and millions of users, Mendeley is one of the largest and most dynamic research collaboration platforms in the world.
- Write high quality Java code
- Design, build and maintain back-end services
- Roll out proven solutions
- Help maintain and troubleshoot existing services
- Ensure reliability and scalability
What you’ll be doing
- Working with the platform team to deliver Mendeley's core back end
- Agile software development (XP, incl. TDD)
- Implementing large-scale distributed systems
- Big data (Hadoop ecosystem) and cloud computing
What you bring
- 2+ years of commercial Java, back-end systems
- Basic Unix and scripting skills
- Willingness to learn Hadoop, and ideally some experience
- English spoken & written to high standard, desire for quality, attention to detail, be able to work in a team
What we offer you
- A great learning opportunity
- No on-call for this role
- 25 holidays, Private Health Care, Child vouchers
- Salary between £35–55k, company stock options; see website for more
If you are interested, send your CV and cover letter to jobs [at] mendeley [dot] com. If you are selected for an interview, we will let you know within two weeks.