Analytical Development scientist (Sci I)
Title: Analytical Development Scientist (Sci I)
Location: Liverpool, UK
MedImmune is the global biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. We work as partners in bringing life changing medicines to patients, sharing and benefiting from each other's strengths. Our science lives beyond our labs - our global perspective means we use talent and expertise from all over the world to make our medicines a success.
The Flu Manufacturing Science and Technology group is a multi-disciplinary scientific function providing expertise in Virology, Process Development and Analytical Development responsible for influenza strain development for manufacture of the seasonal live attenuated influenza vaccine.
The Analytical Development Group is a is a dynamic function with a strong focus on science and technology, accountable for analytical development providing expertise in analytical biochemistry, microbiology, immunology, cell culture, validation, laboratory automation, validation, and technology transfer. Core capabilities are tightly aligned with our pipeline, business strategy and enable important medicines to be manufactured, tested and delivered to patients.
We are now looking to recruit an Analytical Development Scientist to join the team in Liverpool. If successful, you will participate in analytical support of the seasonal vaccine strain development activities and the commercial manufacture of seasonal vaccine strains. In addition, you will contribute and function effectively in one or more development projects, generating high quality, accurate data to support the project. Moreover, you will have considerable experience in analytical development, method validation and technology transfer of a range of Virology/Immunological, Biosafety/Tissue culture, Microbiological and Analytical Chemistry methods, with experience in technology, method and operational improvements.
This is a rewarding and challenging development role within a commercial setting. You must be prepared to deliver against tight deadlines.
Some of the responsibilities include:
- Supervise junior scientists or associates to support the development of manufacturing techniques to support the development of analytical techniques to support strain development activities, in a time sensitive environment
- Be able to lead challenging projects to develop new analytical methodologies and optimise/improve existing methodologies
- Provide scientific expertise in a wide range of analytical methodologies and techniques including the development of methodologies for use in virology characterisation
- Conducts complex biological projects to support the influenza franchise and typically conducts more than one project at a time
- Acts as a project scientific leader when assigned and is recognised internally and externally as an expert in analytical methodologies, techniques and characterisation
- Interface with other site, MedI, AZ and external functions (OTLS and academic)
- Communicate data to project teams on a regular basis, ensuring the Project sponsor and stakeholders are fully aware of project status
- Provide technical training and underpinning knowledge training to other site departments to improve underpinning knowledge and understanding.
- Represent the company at regulatory inspections (including FDA & MHRA) and respond to questions
- Prepare and review regulatory documentation and respond to information requests from agencies
- Contribute to the preparation and publication of scientific presentations and papers
- To have a minimum of a life science degree, preferable in preferable in Biochemistry, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Virology or other science related field.
- Substantial hands-on laboratory experience (ideally within a biopharm setting)
- Evidence of some supervisory experience required for the Scientist II role
- Substantial knowledge of analytical testing requirements of biological manufacturing processes, as well as analytical development of methodologies used to test biological products
- Considerable knowledge of ICH guidelines and experience in analytical validation, and DOE
- Substantial knowledge of good experimental design and statistical analysis
- A PhD is desirable
If you're inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives thrive when making brave decisions - join us.
Opening date: October 19th 2017
Closing date: November 19th 2017
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.