Director, Oncology - External Projects (Innovative Medicines)
5 days left
- Job Type
- Medical Doctor
Position: Director, Oncology - External Projects (Innovative Medicines)
Location: Cambridge, UK
Salary: Competitive with excellent benefits
At AstraZeneca, we work together across global boundaries to discover, develop, manufacture and market prescription medicines that make a positive impact on the lives of patients as well as their families and communities. At AstraZeneca Oncology, our vision is redefining cancer, redefining our solutions to cancer and restoring patients' lives. Our mission is to make a meaningful difference to patient health through great medicines that bring benefit for patients and add value for society.
In addition to our passion for the discovery of innovative new medicines, we understand the importance of flexibility in our work-life environment and we offer a wide variety of benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources they need to pursue not only their work goals but also their life goals. We are dedicated to building strong research teams that embrace the diversity of talents of team members and allow the larger group to grow and learn together to accomplish our collective goal to improve human health.
As the External Projects Director, you will play a key role within the Oncology Innovative Medicines and Early Development (IMED) Strategy organization and have accountability to support the identification and assessment of external assets and collaboration/partnering opportunities to proactively and strategically strengthen AstraZeneca's Oncology pipeline. As part of an entrepreneurial, vibrant team, you will be required to work independently, as well as lead cross-functional teams to identify and drive the rigorous scientific evaluation of potential assets. You must have a strong background in Oncology and be able to handle a wide range of projects, with a proven track record of engaging externally. You will use their strong scientific judgement and communication skills to provide recommendations on assets to senior management to support the externalization objectives of the IMED.
- Lead/Supports the identification and evaluation of the best external licensing and partnering opportunities emanating from biotech, big pharma companies, academic groups, non-profit organizations, and venture, in the prioritized areas of interest to the Oncology IMED.
- Establish and lead X-functional teams to drive the rigorous scientific evaluation of potential assets and deliver clear recommendations to senior management on whether to progress/terminate further evaluation.
- Work closely with colleagues in Business Development, Finance, Bioscience, Translational, Clinical and other organizational functions across AstraZeneca to ensure high quality and timely delivery of licensing evaluations.
- Contribute to strategic discussions relevant to the Oncology IMED licensing deliverables.
- Leads/supports Due Diligence processes.
- Develop a network of contacts in the external scientific and biopharmaceutical community
- Maintain awareness of the Oncology landscape and competitor science focused on areas of interest to the Oncology iMed.
- Supports advancement of de-prioritized assets through external collaboration to maximize value.
- Best represents AstraZeneca's scientific excellence and ensures AZ is considered partner of choice.
- Advanced degree such as MS, MBA or PhD/MD, scientific preferred
- Demonstrated results-focus and ability to deliver projects through strategic influence, relationship management, negotiation and facilitation.
- Advanced knowledge of the global drug discovery and development processes
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working within collaborative project teams involving external partners
- Well-developed interpersonal, motivational and leadership skills
- Ability to travel, including overseas travel
- Strong scientific background in Oncology preferred
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
Applications Open: 24th October 2017
Applications Close: 24th November 2017