Biologics R&D Portfolio Head, Pipeline Strategy and Management
Position: Biologics R&D Portfolio Head, Pipeline Strategy and Management
Location: Gaitherburg, United States or Cambridge, United Kingdom.
Salary: Competitive with excellent benefits.
At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people's exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe.
AstraZeneca's vision in Oncology is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm, with the aim of bringing six new cancer medicines to patients between 2013 and 2020. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers. As well as other tumor types, these are being targeted through four key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
As a member of the Science Unit Portfolio Management Team, provide focused and targeted portfolio analyses and recommendations that inform portfolio direction setting, decision-making and prioritization of investments in line with short, medium and long-term business goals to drive business growth.
As iMed/Medi Portfolio Head, ensure proactive management of the early portfolio in line with business requirements. Deliver a full and integrated range of portfolio views, analyses and communications that drive portfolio decision-making, target-setting and tracking of progress. Support the implementation of consistent project management practices and full leveraging of project & portfolio management systems.
- Support the definition and documentation of the integrated R&D governance business process and early drug project operating model
- Partner with other R&D Portfolio/Project Management Heads to support early stage project team interactions with late stage governance and to support transition of programs from iMed/Medi to GMD
- Support effective prioritization of the portfolio at governance
- Deliver analyses that contextualize and support governance decision-making
Portfolio Reporting and Management:
- Define annual portfolio cohorts to support definition of global and R&D business unit scorecards and incentive programs and manage regular updates on status/progress and projected out-turn
- Deliver a full and integrated suite of portfolio reports, analyses and communications that collectively track status versus business goals, portfolio progress and efficiency
- Support external reporting activities on the early pipeline (pipeline table, annual report, etc)
- Provide input to quarterly SET portfolio reviews for early portfolio topics, and collaborate with key science unit stakeholders on content for these reviews related to the early projects/portfolio
- Contribute portfolio insights and partner with the science unit portfolio/project management heads in the development of the iMed/Medi quarterly business reviews and annual business update
Project Management Practices:
- Support the consistent use of project management practices as related to governance preparations, capacity management, and utilization/leveraging of project planning & portfolio systems
- Ensure data quality for early projects in OPAL and PIVOT to enable robust portfolio analyses and reports, including conducting annual review of probability of success and valuation
- Be knowledgeable regarding external benchmarks and competitor information and apply that knowledge to contextualize and assess science unit project & portfolio decisions
- BA/BS is required. An advanced degree (MBA or PhD) is preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years' experience in healthcare consulting or biopharma industry. Pipeline experience preferred, Global experience preferred, scientific background required.
- Strong strategic thinking, decision making, and problem solving
- Leadership skills, including ability to influence without authority and collaboration
- Advanced skills in software applications such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.
- Strong analytical, organizational and communication skills (written and verbal) required
- Proven teamwork ability, routinely facilitating the exchange of ideas
- Demonstrated ability to bring ideas to action
Next Steps - Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience - it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertise