Job Title: Buyer
Reports to: Manager, Materials
This position is responsible for ensuring that assigned supplier based products are available to meet the production schedule to support manufacturing build plan while achieving defined inventory levels.
- Assists in maintaining the company's policy and procedure for safety.
- Primary responsibility of this position is to manage the external supply of purchased product in support of production needs.
- Develop and maintain key tactical relationships with supply base.
- Processes all production requisitions and purchase orders.
- Develops material release quantities with suppliers consistent with company order policies.
- Analyses MRP system requirements, notes and correct discrepancies when appropriate.
- Communicates requirements forecasts to suppliers in order to meet delivery schedules that are consistent with production schedule needs.
- Controls use of inbound freight and premium freight to minimize costs.
- Facilitates delivery performance improvement and corrective actions with suppliers.
- Works with suppliers to identify and resolve any potential future supply challenges.
- Resolves component supply issues related supplier quality problems and inventory discrepancies.
- Expedites suppliers to ensure supplier delivery performance meets commitments and expectations.
- Meets with suppliers to resolve performance issues and drive continuous improvement.
- Drives supplier automation activities to help improve operation efficiencies.
- Supports and attains defined inventory levels for purchased components in support of an optimized inventory plan.
- Creates and maintains proper QSS levels to support production and achieve inventory goals.
- Works with internal and external groups to optimize inventory levels.
- Carries out effective material control techniques that assure material availability while achieving defined inventory plans.
- Implements engineering changes to minimize obsolete and surplus materials both internally and externally.
- Identifies excess, distressed and obsolete inventory and implement actions to disposition it.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to implement process improvements
- Participate in projects as needed
- Responsible for Key Performance Metrics:
- Supplier On-Time Delivery
- Material Readiness %
- Supply cost savings
- Inventory Turns and Days on Hand
Employees are responsible for individual compliance with all safety rules, policies and procedures. Associate responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Comply with all safety rules, policies and procedures.
- Report any unsafe practices and/or conditions to their supervisor.
- Wear required personal protective equipment (PPE) and report any defective PPE.
- Report all near-misses, incidents, injuries, illnesses, including mobile equipment or property damage.
- Participation in the site Safety and Health Program.
Bachelor's degree in Business, Statistics, Logistics, Business Administration, Supply Chain Management, or similar field of study preferred.
Qualifications and Experience
- APICS or ISM Certification or advanced degree preferred.
- 5 years' experience in production control or purchasing.
- Excellent computer skills, ability to work in many systems. SAP experience preferred.
- Possess above average analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to think conceptually with a real commitment to change and continuous improvement.
- Must have excellent communications skills
- Strong drive for results to facilitate efforts to ensure supplier alignment with the plant. Must have ability to navigate conflicting agendas and obtain agreement.
- Demonstrated ability to build consensus, establish trust, communicate effectively and foster problem solving and culture change.
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office (particularly MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint).
This position has no direct reports.
This job generally operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The employee is also exposed to a variety of extreme conditions in the work environment. The noise level in the work environment can be loud.
The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential job functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit; stand; walk; use hands and fingers to handle or feel; and reach with hands or arms.
The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to focus.
Minimal travel is expected for this position.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
GSI is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a workplace that is free of inappropriate or unlawful conduct on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or other protected group status as provided by law .
Nearest Major Market: Springfield
Job Segment: Procurement, Engineer, ERP, Purchasing, Compliance, Operations, Engineering, Technology, Finance, Legal