GENERAL DESCRIPTION / PRIMARY PURPOSE:
Reporting to the Sr. Director Maintenance and Engineering, the Program Engineer's primary responsibility is to improve the food safety, safety, quality, sustainability and reliability of performance operations. The Program Engineer develops, proposes and implements capital and major repair projects to improve the entire operation. The Program Engineer has the responsibility for meeting, or exceeding established key results for food safety, sanitation, personal safety, product quality, regulatory compliance, control systems, data communications, sustainability, cost effectiveness and organizational development.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS/DUTIES OF THE POSITION:
- Review daily manufacturing operation with respect to overall efficiency, product requirement, and current established production schedule.
- Review's the weekend shutdown projects are done effectively and construction work is properly coordinated.
- Develop and implement plans to improve substandard performance with equipment and the facility.
- Determine the long range needs of the department and the entire facility. Develop plans that implement solutions in appropriate phasing with appropriate long range operational and capital budgeting.
- Assists in GMP and SQF compliance.
- Maintains an understanding of production equipment as to ensure current knowledge of equipment performance for determining facilities and production operations are running at optimal levels.
- Ensures prevention and precautions against, or adequate control of, exposure to hazardous substance, and danger from flammable, explosive, electrical, noise, radiation and manual handling risks
- Maintains safety on each job project in accordance with approved safety rules and regulations to include conducting food safety and personal safety inspections and observations.
- Examines and approves engineering and architectural drawings and design computations for facilities to ensure compliance with sound engineering practices and established standards, codes, and regulations.
- Estimates cost of projects, writes contracts and specifications for labor, materials and equipment for construction projects, and secures bids from contractors.
- Inspects existing facilities to ascertain their condition and prepares reports depicting the condition, deficiencies observed, designs necessary for repairs, and estimated cost of repairs.
- Leadership and Support: Communicate with other plant leaders and support their initiatives. Facilitate maintenance ownership through integration of training, mentoring and supervision
- Ensure the development, improvement of training systems to meet facility needs. Ensure a system is in a place for the facility to sustain and improve maintenance performance. Utilize development plans to grow the performance and knowledge of the maintenance staff and the engineering staff
- Capital and Expense Budgets: manage and develop the overall capital budgets emphasis on cost and productivity improvement initiatives, while exceeding food safety, personal safety and regulatory requirements.
- Designs, Develops, and supervises all aspects of electrical control systems, equipment, and machinery.
- Responsible for installation and technical support of PLC based hardware and software.
- All other related duties as required.
- Experience with multiple PLC manufactures and platforms, preferably with a focus on Allen-Bradley,
- Extensive HMI / SCADA programming experience
- Ability to design, troubleshooting and maintain industrial Ethernet networks
- Experience with industrial control system design including instrumentation, data communication, motor and process control.
- Skilled in database scripting, SQL query generation.
- Experience with electrical design
- Knowledge of Word, Excel, AutoCAD Excel and MS-Project.
- Knowledge of project cost management and cost tracking of all projects.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented food-processing environment
- Strong analytical skills
- Must have the ability to make effective communications, decisions, and directions, interact well with co-workers, understand and follow posted work rules/procedures and to accept constructive criticism.
- Ability to travel is required.
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION:
- 3-5 years of experience as Controls Engineer, food manufacturing and facility experience is a must; RTE food experience most desirable.
- Bachelor's Degree in Systems Management or Software Engineering or other related engineering field, from an accredited college/university