Senior Research Scientist Organic Chemistry, Discovery Sciences
Are you an organic chemist with effective levels of communication, strong scientific drive and a pronounced interest in technically advanced equipment? Then you're our kind of person!
AstraZeneca is now looking to hire a Senior Research Scientist Organic Chemist to Discovery Sciences Chemistry. Placement at AstraZeneca, Gothenburg, Sweden.
At AstraZeneca we believe in the potential of our people and you'll develop beyond what you thought possible. We make the most of your skills and passion by actively supporting you to see what you can achieve no matter where you start with us.
As a Senior Research Scientist Organic Chemistry you will be part of a chemistry team focusing on the identification, exploration and implementation of new synthetic methodologies and automation technologies and their application to drug discovery. Key focus will be on high throughput experimentation and automated compound library synthesis for the purpose of accelerating internal projects from hit generation through to candidate selection. In addition to expertise in organic synthesis, the position requires a strong technical interest.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Synthesize and purify compounds and compound libraries, covering the full spectrum of synthetic complexity and demands including compounds for biological testing, route design and development, quantities ranging from sub-milligram to gram scale.
- Plan, prioritise and perform own work and actively collaborate with project teams e.g. compound library design, chemistry experiment design and application of available technology.
- Drive the development and adoption of cutting-edge technologies to support the automated synthesis of new compounds.
- Identify, develop and apply new, cutting-edge synthetic approaches.
- Propose experimental strategies, troubleshoot laboratory based problems and make a significant contribution to the delivery of the team.
- Maintain access to the best internal and external science.
- Enhance business reputation internally and externally through peer-reviewed publications and oral/poster presentations.
- Ph.D. in a relevant chemistry discipline with minimum 3 years experience in a synthetic organic chemistry and/or chemical engineering unit.
- Synthetic chemist with a track record of applying innovative chemistry solutions, with resulting impact in project delivery.
- Expertise in theoretical and practical organic synthesis, compound route design, purification and analytical sciences.
- Hands-on experience with state-of-the-art parallel synthesis and/or high throughput experimentation technologies.
- Able to prioritise and perform work independently, for example retro synthetic analysis, route design using literature, own knowledge and intergration of ideas from colleagues.
- Advanced knowledge of modern chemical literature, chemical technologies and applying new ideas to project delivery.
- Able to work effectively in high performing teams and demonstrated ability to work across scientific disciplines to drive results.
- A track record of driving innovation in chemistry related sciences.
- Thorough understanding of the chemical sciences and how they contribute and influence drug discovery together with knowledge of the drug discovery process.
- Technical understanding of functionality of lab equipment like HPLC, LCMS, flow reactor, liquid dispensing robotics.
- Knowledge in designing high-throughput chemistry and/or library synthesis experiments using bespoke design software.
- Experience with Design-of-Experiment (DOE) approaches and software.
- Experience with microfluidics based technologies.
- Mentoring/supervision of junior staff, students, etc.
If you are interested, apply now!
For more information, please contact recruiting manager Michael Kossenjans, +46703169183.
Welcome with your application no later than February 11th, 2018.
At AstraZeneca, innovation is more than just research. As one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies, we're focused on providing medicines that make a real difference in patient care. AstraZeneca R&D Gothenburg is a great place to work where you can help us continue to lead the industry in research and development. It has an entrepreneurial and collaborative culture, where you'll feel valued, energised and rewarded for your ideas and contributions. It is a place where talented people can immerse themselves in their work and make significant contributions towards scientific excellence.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.