Laser Image Processing and Control Systems Engineer
MBDA are the lead for the DragonFire laser directed energy demonstrator, which is UK MoDs future vision for a laser effector. A vacancy has arisen for a scientist/engineer to work in Bristol on the technology aspects, specifically imaging through atmospheric turbulence.
- Lead an optics laboratory for the design, development and testing of imaging and control for precision laser pointing in the presence of atmospheric turbulence
- Conduct research on new optical and image processing techniques for laser pointing and tracking
- Assisting in the evaluation of demonstrators through off-site trials in the UK and overseas
- Carry out supporting simulation work to support laboratory and outdoor trials results
- Develop a research strategy in image processing and control
- Be at the forefront of science and engineering for laser directed energy
What’s in it for you?
- Interesting and exciting work, giving you the opportunity to work on some truly innovative and world-class technology
- Opportunities to manage projects through their full lifecycle, from the laboratory to customer delivery
- Frequent opportunities to gain visibility for you and your work at the highest level both inside and outside the company
- Having a varied ‘day-job’
- Excellent training opportunities in a broad range of relevant subjects; achieved through formal training courses and/or on-the-job training
- Opportunities to develop new skills through interaction with specialist areas within MBDA
What’s great about the team?
- Become part of a very diverse team of highly motivated scientists and engineers, who are genuinely interested in their fields
- Frequent exposure to high-profile, fast-paced projects
- Work on projects varying from a few weeks duration to several years
- Enjoy a high level of autonomy and ‘freedom to tinker’
- Have ready access to in-house experts to supplement knowledge
- Contribute to high-level VIP visits in support of senior management
- Opportunity to attend international conferences to keep abreast of developments in the field
- Undertaking this role you would be joining a dynamic, focussed team responsible for the development of our future business.
What are we looking for?
- Creativity, imagination and the ability to innovate
- Ideally holding a higher degree (e.g. Masters or PhD) in a physical sciences or engineering discipline
- Significant practical knowledge / laboratory skills using lasers, optics and imaging, with practical industry experience
- Deep understanding in the physics of atmospheric turbulence, and current state of the art compensation techniques
- Ability to automate and control of test and measurement equipment for data capture (such as LabView)
- Record of successful technical work delivered individually and/or as part of a team
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and often from a blank sheet of paper
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, backed by working knowledge of Office software
- Ability to use well-known computer simulation codes to carry out optical simulations(such as Matlab, Zemax)
- Ability to write computer code to analyse large datasets (such as Matlab or Python)
- Familiarity of systems requirements capture and management
What would you get?
- Competitive salary, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level) and superb learning and development opportunities.
Please note that in order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible for SC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news.
LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence)
More searches like this
- Engineering Engineer UK Sterling Full Time jobs in United Kingdom
- Mechanical & Electrical Engineering Engineer UK Sterling Full Time jobs in United Kingdom
- Civil & Structural Engineering Engineer UK Sterling Full Time jobs in United Kingdom
- Aerospace & Automotive Engineer UK Sterling Full Time jobs in United Kingdom
- Engineering (Miscellaneous) Engineer UK Sterling Full Time jobs in United Kingdom