Assistant Farm Manager (Roanoke Farm in Roanoke)
For 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we'll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.
We are seeking an Assistant Farm Manager to support our poultry farm in Roanoke, IL.
The Assistant Farm Manager will participate in all farm activities and will manage the farm operations in the farm manager's absence.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for management of farm operations, including oversight of several poultry houses and processing departments on each site, in the farm manager's absence.
- Assist farm manager by participating in poultry husbandry duties which include but are not limited to: breeder egg selection, incubating and hatching, beak trimming, pullet management, blood sampling and environmental sampling, nest imprinting, breeder/grow house management, depopulations.
- Respond to alarm calls quickly and effectively.
- Occasionally fill in for house managers.
- Provide direct daily supervision and review work of limited assigned departmental employees to ensure accuracy and adherence to pertinent departmental policies, practices and procedures [SOPs, safety procedures and biosafety protocols]. Schedule and prioritize workload of assigned group.
- Assist in the interview and selection of qualified non-exempt personnel. Assist in developing recommendations regarding personnel actions, including hiring, promotions and raises. Partner with Human Resources and departmental management to assist in the handling of disciplinary issues. Assist in the drafting of appropriate personnel action paperwork.
- Identify training and development needs of direct reports. Assist in the development, implementation and delivery of departmental training programs; ensure that direct reports receive departmental orientation and necessary on-the-job training. May maintain group training manual and training records.
- Monitor performance of direct reports. Assist in providing regular coaching and counseling. Assist in preparation and delivery of salary and performance reviews of direct reports.
- Schedule overtime as authorized. Review and recommend approval of time cards. Assist in the coordination of vacation/time off schedules.
- Assist in the development of recommendations for short-range operating objectives, organizational structure of direct reports and staffing requirements. Assist in the development of a departmental plan for backup and succession of key technical personnel.
- Assist in ensuring optimum performance of group function. May recommend and implement techniques to improve productivity, increase efficiencies, cut costs, take advantage of opportunities, and maintain state-of-the-art practices.
- Assist in the development, maintenance and communication of departmental systems and SOPs. Assist in the development and communication of job descriptions for subordinate positions.
- Ensure that departmental equipment is maintained in good working condition and that departmental area(s) are maintained in a clean and orderly condition.
- Serve as a model to departmental subordinates as it relates to effective time management, communication and utilization of resources. Provide leadership and motivation to departmental personnel.
- Provide input for salary adjustments, performance appraisals and disciplinary actions for farm personnel.
- Maintain biosecurity on the farm.
- Maintain records according to SOPs.
- Assist farm manager with the maintenance/housekeeping of all farm prosperity. production/processing equipment.
- Assist with maintaining farm supply inventory, including feed.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- The following are minimum requirements for the Assistant Farm Manager position.
- Bachelor's degree (B.A./B.S.) or equivalent in poultry management or related discipline.
- 1 to 2 years related experience in poultry management.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Must be able to understand equipment operation and maintenance; Must be available seven days a week and holidays; good written and verbal skills.
Our Avian business group provides vaccine manufacturers and researchers the comfort of knowing that the raw materials used in their manufacturing process are free of extraneous agents. Charles River has established flock handling and egg production procedures that set the global industry standard.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients' clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 11,000 employees within 70 facilities in 18 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client's unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world. And in 2016, revenue increased by 23.3% to $1.68 billion from $1.36 billion in 2015.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people's lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of ~70% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2016.
For more information, please visit www.criver.com .
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vet