Robotic Systems Electronics Engineer
Robotic Systems Electronics Engineer
UKRI- NERC NOC
£28,200 - £32,430
Full time (37 hours a week)
Fixed term (3 years)
The Natural and Environmental Research Council (NERC) is a partner organisation within UK Research and Innovation (UKRI). UKRI is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, and a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
The National Oceanography Centre (NOC), part of NERC, is a national research organisation, delivering integrated marine science and technology from the coast to the deep ocean and is one of the top five institutions of its kind in the world.
In return for your talents, we offer a competitive remuneration package, including a RCUK pension scheme, 30 days annual leave with a further 14 Public/local days off and free car-parking. Opportunities for further training and development are supported.
About the role
We are looking for a proactive Electronics Engineer to join our exciting Systems Development Team within the National Oceanography Centre in Southampton.
Housed in a new state of the art facility, you will have the opportunity to develop, operate and maintain the UK’s marine science robotic fleet, supporting cutting edge science and addressing global marine science questions.
The Systems Development Team forms part of the wider Marine Autonomous Robotic Systems (MARS) Group, responsible for a fleet of high-tech marine gliders and vehicles that allow scientists to explore the oceans in ways that previously weren’t possible. The Team operates worldwide from the coast to the deep oceans, with vehicles deployed beneath glacial ice tongues in Antarctica, under sea ice in the Arctic, and in every ocean in between.
With ownership of the entire development process, you will take a project from initial idea all the way through to specification, design, implementation, test and sea-trial. You will contribute to a variety of exciting and innovative projects, including the development and trial of our new 6000m rated autonomous submarine.
- development of electronic sub-systems for the MARS fleet
- developing and overseeing testing of electronics systems
- supporting the preparation of funding proposals and commercial projects
- supporting cruises and sea-going operations, including system configuration pre-mobilisation, time at sea supporting equipment, fault finding, repair and post cruise support
- liaising with the UK science community
- training and continuing professional development.
We are looking for a professional Engineer with a relevant qualification in Electronic Engineering or a closely related discipline. You will have the ability to develop complete digital systems from initial documentation to schematics, PCB design and associated firmware.
Ideally, you will be familiar with embedded Linux, communication protocols and the Altium PCB design environment. An understanding of quality management concepts and implementation in an industry environment is highly desirable, in order to ensure high reliability outputs from the team.
You will be committed to maintaining engineering standards, along with safe, effective, and reliable operations.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to include a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role.
Applications are handled by UK Shared Business Services, to apply please visit our job board at http://www.topcareer.jobs/Vacancy/irc247227_8834.aspx. Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on +44 (0)1793 867000.
The closing date for applications is 18th November 2018.
More searches like this
- Chemical Engineering Engineer £30,000 - £39,999 Full Time jobs in Hampshire
- Engineering Engineer £30,000 - £39,999 Full Time jobs in Hampshire
- Mechanical & Electrical Engineering Engineer £30,000 - £39,999 Full Time jobs in Hampshire
- Civil & Structural Engineering Engineer £30,000 - £39,999 Full Time jobs in Hampshire
- Aerospace & Automotive Engineer £30,000 - £39,999 Full Time jobs in Hampshire