PhD position in Experimental Quantum Optics
Our research team at the Technical University of Darmstadt (Germany), dealing with Experimental Nonlinear Optics and Quantum Optics, is searching for a doctoral student for a period of up to three years starting by July 2019. The PhD project is funded by a European Union Innovative Training Network (ITN). The aim of such ITNs is to provide structured, high quality, doctoral-level training in academia, with involvement also of industry research teams. Besides working on an internationally competitive research project in our laboratory at Darmstadt, the successful applicant will attend ITN schools and workshops, have access to a professional skills program, and receive additional scientific training at academic and industry partners in the network.
The project is embedded in the MSCA ITN “Light-Matter Interfaces for Quantum Enhanced Technology”. The research will be dealing with coherent light-matter interactions in laser-cooled atoms confined within a hollow-core fiber. The goal is to achieve efficient nonlinear optical interactions at the few-photon level for future quantum technologies using stationary light pulses (SLPs). SLPs, i.e., light pulses with vanishing group velocity, are based on the effect of electromagnetically induced transparency and are promising candidates to achieve such nonlinear interactions even at the single-photon level. Very recently, our team succeeded in observing SLPs in such a hollow-core fiber setup for the first time.
- EU mobility rule: At the time of recruitment, researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Germany for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the reference date. Compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account.
- Solid and broad education in modern physics with some specialization in experimental AMO physics
- MSc university degree with excellent marks obtained within the last four years
- High level of motivation
- Very good writing and oral skills in English
- experience with laser-cooling of neutral atoms and/or coherent light-matter interactions
- programming skills
- pronounced communication as well as management skills
- ability to work collaboratively
If you are interested in the PhD position and your experience matches the candidate profile please submit the following information as a single PDF file to email@example.com:
- academic CV (if already available : list of publications and conference contributions),
- outline of research interests and relevant expertise,
- transcripts of BSc and MSc degrees listing the qualification awarded and the courses taken (including marks),
- contact details of two potential referees.
Apply for PhD position in Experimental Quantum Optics
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly