Senior Geotechnical Engineer
AECOM is currently recruiting for a Senior Geotechnical Engineer to join our well established and experienced Ground Engineering team in Basingstoke.
As a Senior Civil Engineer you will have the following responsibilities:
- Contribution to civil engineering projects in the UK and overseas such as ports, airports, road and rail, structures, coastal defences and water projects. The Senior role will include elements of project planning and budget control.
- Tasks will include, interpretation of ground investigation data, derivation of design parameters, geotechnical designs for offshore structures, building foundations, pile capacity and drivability, earthworks and retaining walls, including soil/structure interaction, allowable bearing pressure and settlement assessment using commercial software such as the Oasys Suite, WALLAP, Frew, GRLWeap, the GeoSlope Suite and Plaxis. You will also contribute or lead the preparation of the Geotechnical Design Report and provision of technical notes and liaise with other design teams.
- You will attend meetings with contractors and clients, both external and internal and provide geotechnical input to multi-disciplinary project design teams.
- Under the supervision of more senior engineer you will carry out engineering design, visit sites and write reports.
- You will take responsibility for delivery of small projects or parts of projects and will assist in the internal checking and review of work by other members of the geotechnical team. In due course you will become involved in bidding for jobs and programme and budget control and mentoring junior staff.
- Experience of working in a geotechnical design office working to EuroCode 7.
- Working knowledge of ground investigation methods, soil and rock parameter selection, design of shallow footings, piles and retaining walls.
- Experience of geotechnical software such as that listed above. Experience of finite element analysis using Plaxis or similar is essential.
- Good communication skills both oral and written are required, some experience of writing technical reports, specifications and contract documents will be an advantage.
- Willingness to travel within the UK and overseas for limited periods is essential and previous site and/or overseas experience will be an advantage.
- Chartered member of ICE.
- A civil engineering first degree (BSc, BEng or MEng) is required. A masters or PhD in a geotechnical subject would be an advantage.
- MICE CEng is required.
- At least five years of geotechnical design experience.