Research Technician - Institute of Immunology and Immunotherapy - 81503 - Band 400
Department: Institute of Immunology and Immunotherapy
Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK
Full time starting salary is normally in the range £19,581 to £20,939, with potential progression once in post to £25,509
Full Time, Fixed Term Contract for up to 12 months
Closing date: 28.07.2019
To contribute to the creation of knowledge by undertaking research into the role of iNKT cells in acute myeloid leukaemia
• To research in the cross-talk between iNKT cells and AML blasts using in vitro techniques such as tissue culture, blood separation, MACS sorting, ELISA, western blood, qPCR, flow cytometry, and cell proliferation assays
• To analyse and interpret data
• Disseminate research findings for publication
• Present research at lab meetings
HEALTH AND SAFETY/ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES - 10%
• Encouraging staff and students, working within the area of responsibility, to comply with all basic University / College Health & Safety policies. This may include compliance in the following areas; COSHH, genetically modified organisms (GMOs), human tissue, biological assessments, radioactive materials and schedule 5 toxins etc. Confirming all required assessments are in place, approved and up to date.
• Maintaining records both paper and computer based as appropriate.
• Carrying out regular maintenance processes such as flushing eye wash stations as appropriate and ensuring records are maintained.
• Reporting any breaches or non-compliance with H&S procedures to the PI, Technical Manager, Laboratory Manager or College Safety Adviser.
• Upholding the correct waste disposal stream as governed by College and local policy for laboratory, recycled and general waste
• Adopt a proactive attitude to assisting with and implementing carbon reduction and energy saving measures
GENERAL ADMINISTRATION AND ORGANISATION - 8%
The post holder will assist with the daily administration and organisation of the work area. These duties include:
• Maintaining stocks of consumables, if necessary, creating purchase order requisitions for the College finance office or via web based ordering system
• Receipt and correct storage of consumables and chemical reagents.
• Ensuring that the facilities are maintained in a clean, functional and safe condition, reporting any problems through the appropriate channels.
• Ensuring the best use of equipment through booking systems, if appropriate
• Reporting any problems with equipment or services to the line manager as appropriate.
• Any other duties commensurate with the grade and skill base of the post holder as directed by either the Principle investigator for research based activities or the Technical Managers for non research based activities
OTHER DUTIES - 7%
• In collaboration with the L aboratory Manager or supervisor the post holder will take an active role in the training and mentoring process for junior or newly appointed staff/students
• To actively engage in the Personal Development Process
• To contribute at a level appropriate with the grade, to internal and external audit procedures, and to regulatory inspections.
• Assist Technical Managers and/or Laboratory Managers in identifying and tracking items held on the University asset register.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience Required
• NVQ, BTEC/ONC or equivalent; or specific relevant experience in an appropriate subject.
• GCSE (A*- C) or equivalent in mathematics
• Proven practical experience of relevant techniques required for the post
• Positive service attitude and shows courtesy in dealing with others
• Ability to organise and manage own work load after consultation with supervisor and demonstrate flexibility in terms of work practices/requirements
• Ability to work as part of a team but to perform under minimum supervision
• Awareness of current relevant H&S policies
• Proficiency in commonly used software packages
• The post has no direct line management responsibility for other staff
• The post has no budgetary or financial responsibility
• The impact of this role is to enhance the University's research power and to provide students (BMedSc/MRes/PhD) with a distinctive high quality experience
Planning and organising
• The work will come to the role holder via regular meetings with either the research group, PI or nominated Research Fellow
• The role holder will set their own deadline priorities within the deadlines provided by the PI for dealing with the work provided
• The role is forward planning to meet research milestones but there is some element of reactiveness and problem solving should obstacles arise.
• The role holder will use the most appropriate technique and ensure that all the equipment and consumables are available to ensure results delivery
• The role holder will plan with other stakeholders the most efficient use of resources and equipment to reach research milestones
Problem Solving and Decision-making
Without reference to others
• Deliver a level of service to colleagues/customers as outlined in workplan/PDR objectives
• Perform day to day research experiments once protocol is approved, analyse the data.
• Routine operation and maintenance of laboratory equipment.
• Replace consumables and reagents.
• Prepare presentation material for internal laboratory meetings
After consulting others
• Select appropriate experimental protocols to achieve objectives.
• Constantly evaluate course of experiments and suggest improvements or changes if necessary.
• Plan his/her working week in consultation with the supervisor.
• Resolve problems that may have not been encountered previously.
• Suggest improvements to the existing protocols
or would be referred to someone else
• Undertake a change in research direction.
• Set long term priorities
• Make decisions on major purchases
• Any issues outside the area of expertise of the post holder. Any issues which may have a detrimental impact on the core business activities of the College and/or University
Informal Queries to Dr Frank Mussai email@example.com
For Further Particulars, please see the link below: