Senior Data Scientist for Mendeley Careers
Mendeley Careers is looking for a Senior Data Scientist to work collaboratively in a small team helping to make the data sing and creating recommenders deliver a modern user experience for researchers and professionals in science, technology, engineering and medicine to help them find new job opportunities and develop their career through leveraging the Elsevier research ecosystem.
The most important thing you do is research, design and build discovery services that help researchers to find what matters to them (e.g. articles, conferences, researchers). You will have the opportunity to work on products throughout Elsevier from existing ones with high volumes of traffic to new and innovative ones like Careers.
What you’ll be doing:
- Research, develop and evaluate algorithms to power discovery services (e.g. recommender systems, search engines)
- Identify, obtain and prepare large scale data sets for training and testing algorithms (e.g. data cleaning, data normalisation, data linkage)
- Evaluate algorithms through controlled offline and online experiments (e.g. A/B testing)
- Build proof of concept prototypes demonstrating these algorithms in action
- Productionise prototypes with the support of skilled engineers to make reliable, scalable systems
- Working with UX, Product and Business teams to deliver end-to-end discovery products ·
- Deliver presentations that communicate the value of discovery technologies to the business
You’re good at:
- Strong experience of research and development , holding an MSc, preferably PhD, in Computer Science
- Good knowledge of Machine Learning and experience with building discovery systems such as Recommender Systems and Search Engines is desirable
- Working in teams that are geographically distributed across multiple locations
- Demonstrable experience of Java or Scala programming; can independently prototype solutions to problems
- Experience with fast prototyping languages (e.g. R, Python) and Unix skills (e.g. bash scripting, sed, AWK)
- Experience with big data technologies (e.g. Spark, Hadoop, MapReduce, Cascading, Scalding) is desirable but not required
Other important stuff:
- Evaluate how these algorithms perform in live services and improve them to move relevant business goals
- Demonstrate, communicate and promote the value of Data Science in discovery products both inside and outside the company
- Track record of working in cross functional teams including Engineers, UX and Product to build and deliver data products
- Mendeley, an Elsevier brand, is revolutionizing how research is done and has won awards for their social innovation which benefits society
- We are committed to building cohesive teams where communication, support and innovation thrive. Instead of taking a top-down approach to new ideas, all members of the team are empowered to contribute. Great ideas can come from anywhere
- We’re a truly global company. We are expanding our capabilities and offer a stimulating environment, enabling bright, passionate people to do their best work.
Elsevier is in the midst of a transformation that is being driven by digital technology. Our innovative technology platforms and smart content solutions operate at the cutting edge of big data, semantic web and cloud technology, enabling faster more effective critical decision-making daily across the globe.
Together, Elsevier & Mendeley is a world-leading provider of information solutions that enhance the performance of science, health, and technology professionals, empowering them to make better decisions, deliver better care, and sometimes make groundbreaking discoveries, that advance the boundaries of knowledge and human progress.
Apply for Senior Data Scientist for Mendeley Careers
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly