6 Month Contract - Initially
Our Client has a requirement for a Mechanical Engineer, who will be required to work on a 6 month contract basis. This role is based in Stafford but will be hybrid working - 3 days working in the office and 2 days working from home.
The successful candidate will be part of a team of engineers working on the development of new power electronics applications for power systems, particularly for HVDC converter valves and the forthcoming "HVDC Grid". The engineer will analyse and design HVDC converter valves, from converter structures to individual components. The product will be matured from requirements through to manufacture and the engineer will normally be expected to support any of these phases of the product lifecycle.
Key Accountabilities of the Job:
- Mechanical development of power electronic converter modules for HVDC.
- Mechanical, electrical and thermal analysis and simulation.
- Specification of key components such as structural steel and composites, busbars, cooling systems, corona shields & insulators.
- Review and approve drawings and design documentation.
- Carry out validations by planning and performing design-proving tests.
- Innovation of new technical ideas for patent applications.
- Integration with other engineering departments for product development.
- Industrialization of the validated design by interacting with stakeholders.
- Actively broadening and deepening HVDC knowledge and sharing specialized expertise to other engineers of any level.
- Technically lead a group of engineers for a development project if required.
- Strict adherence to standards and legislation.
- Promotion and adherence to EHS policies within the team.
- Occasional global travel for product validations and supply chain integration.
Skills / Experience / Qualifications:
- The candidate will typically be educated to degree level, or equivalent, in a related science such as mechanical engineering. Additionally, it is also expected that applicants should have strong experience in Ansys 2020 workbench for mechanical simulations, validation and design for industrialisation.
- In addition to relevant experience, candidates should be familiar with modern 3D CAD tools, preferably Creo 4.0 or over and Windchill PDMlink 4 or over, additionally they should demonstrate an ability to think innovatively and apply fundamental engineering knowledge across different disciplines.
- An enquiring mind and desire to learn new skills, an ability to apply different engineering disciplines and a willingness to share the knowledge are essential qualities. Ideally, the candidate will have a good track record of leading technical work packages to deliver products on time and according to the scope.
- Chartered Engineer or working towards professional registration.
- Prior experience of the mechanical analysis or design of electrical transmission equipment or power electronics equipment.
- Prior experience of design for manufacture.
- Knowledge of intellectual property and the patent process experience.
- Knowledge of DFMEA & PFMEA.
- Evidence of sharing knowledge and experience.
At First Recruitment Group we understand just how important it is to secure the right people. That is why our Recruitment Consultants always take the time to understand requirements in detail and offer sound advice to both clients and candidates.
We actively recruit at all levels and this is a superb opportunity for Mechanical Engineer's looking for new employment.