Our client manufactures wire and cable used in medical devices, aerospace, defense, and industrial equipment. They need a R&D Materials Engineer. In this role you will research and analyze trends in the wire and cable market space evaluating the competition, new polymer developments, cutting edge additives/coatings, new processing techniques not currently in our portfolio, and potential work with Universities on new products. You will be directly responsible for the ownership of projects from conception through new product introduction (NPI). This will include continuous education in applicable standards, their interpretation, and the ability to create test plans and translate the results into new product development concepts. You will serve as a technical resource and SME on complex materials questions to all teams within the organization and our international subsidiaries. You will report to the Director of R&D. The position is located N.E. of the Twin Cities.What you will be doing:* Manage and own R&D projects for compound materials under evaluation for NPD. This will include scheduling trials, estimating the resources required and measuring product performance.
* Create test plans with test objectives, equipment, methods, and instrumentation that will be used to collect the desired data. (The goal is to establish the technical validity behind design decisions using reliable and repeatable test methods, protocols and procedures.)
* Oversee activities and tests by compliance engineers to ensure test design, equipment, and data collection methods meet test requirements.
* Regularly meet with vendors, strategic sourcing, and process engineering to review technical issues within production and help to qualify new compounds for obsolescent/single sourced risk mitigation planning.
* Jointly manage the certification project process with the compliance team for new products with 3rd party agencies such as UL or CSA.
* Work with QA, Process Engineering, Operations, and Final Inspection during the pilot production phase of new raw materials to verify process capability and performance.
* Serve as a technical resource to other departments and partners to respond to performance concerns and proactively evaluate new and alternative methodologies, materials or designs.
* Conduct root cause analysis and troubleshooting as project issues ariseWhat they are looking for:* A hands on R&D Engineer who can apply materials engineering solutions to real world problems in the development of wire and cable insulation and jacketing materials. This role will not engage in formulating new compound materials in house, but rather utilizing polymer knowledge to select the best material for the performance based on the target application. This role will however engage directly with compounding and additives manufacturers which can provide the company with the ability to create custom formulations/blends.
* BS Chemical, Material or Polymer engineering
* 4-10 years of direct experience in materials research, testing, and process engineering of polymers (extruded thermoplastic, thermoset, and high temp fluoropolymer materials) use in wire and cable production
* Excellent project management, organizational and communication skills
* Extrusion and mold processing experience, including the addition of additives to optimize manufacturability
* Practical understanding of the how and why work is being done in support business decisions
* Good computer skills, including ERP systems and MS Project
* Experience with ISO 13485 is preferredBenefits:* Health, dental and vision insurance
* 401K with match
* Vacation and holidays
* Tuition reimbursement
* Disability and life insurance
* Assistance with relocation if necessaryLet us help you move your career forward. Apply now. We review all resumes and applications submitted. A member of our staff will reach out to you directly if you meet the qualifications for this role.