Marie Curie Senior Research Fellow - London
Mendeley is recruiting a Marie Curie Senior Research Fellow. Your primary responsibility will be to ensure that Mendeley’s research catalogue (i.e. collection of articles) is of high quality. Mendeley has crowdsourced a global research catalogue with over 50 million unique articles contributed by almost two million users over a period of four years. With your expert knowledge in data technologies and algorithms, you will take ownership of this catalogue, and work on innovative techniques for improving its quality. Your work should result in a cleaner, better structured and more scalable catalogue.
This position is part of the TEAM project (http://team-project.tugraz.at), a research project funded by the European Commission in FP7 in the context of the Industry-Academia Partnerships and Pathways (IAPP) Action within the Marie Curie Programme. In this role, you will spend 1 year in Mendeley’s London office before spending 1 year at TU Graz, the Knowledge Management Institute (http://kmi.tugraz.at/), Austria, where you will further extend your research skills collaborating with a top-class team. You are expected to disseminate the results of your work in the wider community (e.g. publications, presentations). You will be passionate about working with large scale data collections, a proactive communicator and take pride in producing high quality data.
- Ensure that the research catalogue is of high quality
- Understand, maintain and help develop current crowdsourcing system
- Disseminate results from your work both internally and externally
What you'll be doing
- Crowdsourcing a homogeneous catalogue from heterogeneous data sources, using modern data techniques
- Identifying data sources, judging their appropriateness and working with data engineers to import them into the catalogue
- Working with Data Engineers and Platform Team to make reliable/scalable systems
- Working with Data Architect to ensure coherent data mapping, ontologies and schemas
- Working with Mendeley’s Chief Scientist in contributing to solving data problems outside of the scope of catalogue crowdsourcing
- Working 1 year from Mendeley’s London office, followed by 1 year in TU Graz before returning to London, with regular travel between both locations
What you should bring
- PhD in the field of Computer Science or 4-10 years of full-time research (following first publication)
- Expert knowledge of text and document processing, with strong machine learning background
- Experience working with large-scale catalogues
- Database integration experience
- 2+ years of Java programming; can independently prototype solutions to problems
- Experience with big data technologies (e.g. Hadoop, MapReduce, NoSQL)
- Unix skills, preferably Linux
- Fluent spoken and written English
- Strong presentation skills in communicating with experts and novices
What we offer
- Salary of £50k per annum + stock options
- No out-of-hours support expected
- 25 days holidays
- Company benefits such as: cycle to work scheme, childcare vouchers, BUPA (private healthcare), Friday beer o’clocks (snacks and drinks on the house), free breakfast, monthly team nights out, annual events (Christmas party and summer barbecue)
- Working in a great environment in a central London office with roof terrace
- Nationality: The researcher may be a national of a Member State of the Union, of an Associated Country or of any other third country
- Mobility: At the time of selection, the researcher must not have resided or carried out his/her main activity in the country of the beneficiary home organisation for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to his/her selection under the project. International European interest organisations or international organisations: The appointed researcher must not have spent more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the selection by the home organisation in the same appointing organisation.
If you are interested, send your CV and cover letter to jobs [at] mendeley [dot] com. If you are selected for an interview, we will let you know within two weeks.