Validation of the Brazilian version of the Pediatric Obstructive Sleep Apnea Screening Tool questionnaire

3Citations
Citations of this article
20Readers
Mendeley users who have this article in their library.

Abstract

Objective: To validate the Pediatric Obstructive Sleep Apnea Screening tool for use in Brazil. Materials and methods: The Brazilian version of this questionnaire, originally validated and tested in the United States, was developed as follows: (a) translation; (b) back-translation; (c) completion of the final version; (d) pre-testing. The questionnaire was applied prior to polysomnography to children aged 3–9 years from October 2015 to October 2016, and its psychometric properties (i.e., validity and reliability) were evaluated. The accuracy was assessed from comparisons between polysomnographic results and corresponding questionnaire scores. Results: Sixty patients were enrolled, and based on polysomnographic findings, 48% patients had normal apnea-hypopnea index, while the remaining 52% met the criteria for obstructive sleep apnea. Minimum O 2 saturation level was significantly lower among obstructive sleep apnea children (p = 0.021). Satisfactory concordance was found between individual apnea-hypopnea index and questionnaire scores. Bland–Altman plot-derived bias was 0.1 for the difference between measures, with 5.34 (95% CI: 4.14–6.55) and −5.19 (95%CI: −6.39 to −3.98) for the upper and lower agreement range. Internal consistency derived from Cronbach's alpha was 0.84 (95%CI: 0.78–0.90). Conclusion: The questionnaire was translated to and validated into Brazilian-Portuguese version, and showed good reliability and concordance with apnea-hypopnea index. This questionnaire offers a reliable screening option for sleep-disordered breathing in children.

Cite

CITATION STYLE

APA

Pires, P. J. S., Mattiello, R., Lumertz, M. S., Morsch, T. P., Fagondes, S. C., Nunes, M. L., … Stein, R. T. (2019). Validation of the Brazilian version of the Pediatric Obstructive Sleep Apnea Screening Tool questionnaire. Jornal de Pediatria, 95(2), 231–237. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jped.2017.12.014

Register to see more suggestions

Mendeley helps you to discover research relevant for your work.

Already have an account?

Save time finding and organizing research with Mendeley

Sign up for free