Skip to main content

Osimertinib, an irreversible next-generation EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitor, exerts antitumor activity in various preclinical nsclc models harboring the uncommon EGFR mutations G719X or L861Q or S768I

0Citations
Citations of this article
9Readers
Mendeley users who have this article in their library.
Get full text

Abstract

Osimertinib is an oral, third-generation, irreversible epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor (EGFR-TKI) that selectively inhibits both EGFR-TKI–sensitizing and EGFR T790M–resistance mutations with lower activity against wild-type EGFR and has demonstrated efficacy in non–small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) CNS metastases. The sensitizing mutations, the in-frame deletions in exon 19 and the L858R point mutation in exon 21, represent between 80% and 90% of all EGFR mutations. The remaining 10% to 20% are referred to as uncommon activating mutations and are a diverse group of mutations in exons 18 to 21 within the kinase domain of the EGFR gene. Excluding those found as insertion mutations in exon 20, the uncommon mutations involving codons G719, S768, and L861 are the most prevalent. Although the efficacy of EGFR-TKIs for the common EGFR mutations is well established, much less is known about rare EGFR mutations, such as exon 20 insertions, G719X, L861Q, S768I, as most of the data consist of single case reports or small case series. Using available patient-derived xenografts (PDX) and cell lines derived from two of these PDXs that harbor the G719X mutation, we have evaluated in vitro and in vivo the preclinical activity of osimertinib. We report osimertinib inhibits signaling pathways and cellular growth in G719X-mutant cell lines in vitro and demonstrate sustained tumor growth inhibition of PDX harboring the G719X mutation alone or in combination with L861Q and S768I. Together, these data support clinical testing of osimertinib in patients with uncommon EGFR NSCLC.

Cite

CITATION STYLE

APA

Floch, N., Lim, S., Bickerton, S., Ahmed, A., Orme, J., Urosevic, J., … Smith, P. D. (2020). Osimertinib, an irreversible next-generation EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitor, exerts antitumor activity in various preclinical nsclc models harboring the uncommon EGFR mutations G719X or L861Q or S768I. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, 19(11), 2298–2307. https://doi.org/10.1158/1535-7163.MCT-20-0103

Register to see more suggestions

Mendeley helps you to discover research relevant for your work.

Already have an account?

Save time finding and organizing research with Mendeley

Sign up for free