The AUGMENTSM Treatment: Physician Reported Outcomes of the Initial Global Patient Experience

  • Fakih M
N/ACitations
Citations of this article
31Readers
Mendeley users who have this article in their library.

Abstract

Introduction Infertility treatment prior to 1978 proved challenging to both patients and their physicians. The birth of Louise Brown through in vitro fertilization (IVF) was the result of decades-long research in both the basic and clinical sciences and followed hundreds of failed attempts at human IVF [1]. With IVF's successful introduction, related and supportive technologies soon emerged including IVF and the use of donor eggs, cryopreservation and frozen embryo transfer (FET), gamete intra-fallopian transfer (GIFT), zygote intra-fallopian transfer (ZIFT), intra-cytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) and less invasive procedures aided by enhancements in equipment, such as transvaginal ultrasound guided oocyte retrieval. It may be hard to recall now that technologies such as IVF, the use of donor eggs, and ICSI were, at first, controversial but so successful in improving outcomes that they were most often adopted into clinical practice without any demonstrated benefit in randomized controlled clinical trials [2]. Despite the technical enhancements introduced over time that have resulted in unprecedented cumulative IVF pregnancy rates, a significant percentage of women continue to fail repeated attempts at IVF. While cumulative pregnancy rates increase with increasing cycle number (approximately 75% of women will achieve a live birth by the sixth IVF cycle), per cycle IVF success rates tend to decrease with increasing cycle number. The age blended probability of a live birth is approximately 25% in a woman's first cycle (range [9-33%]), 20% per cycle during her second and third cycles and decreases to less than 20% per cycle during cycles four through six [3]. IVF success rates drop dramatically as women age. Therefore, a patient population exists that will fail to respond to all lines of treatment, including repeated cycles of IVF. For this patient population, IVF using a donor egg or adoption have, until recently, represented the only remaining option(s) [4].

Cite

CITATION STYLE

APA

Fakih, M. H. (2015). The AUGMENTSM Treatment: Physician Reported Outcomes of the Initial Global Patient Experience. Journal of Fertilization: In Vitro - IVF-Worldwide, Reproductive Medicine, Genetics & Stem Cell Biology, 03(03). https://doi.org/10.4172/2375-4508.1000154

Register to see more suggestions

Mendeley helps you to discover research relevant for your work.

Already have an account?

Save time finding and organizing research with Mendeley

Sign up for free