Effect of Kollidon® SR on the release of Albuterol Sulphate from matrix tablets

17Citations
Citations of this article
33Readers
Mendeley users who have this article in their library.

Abstract

The objective of this study was to evaluate Kollidon SR for the development of extended release Albuterol Sulphate matrix tablets in comparison with other polymers as Hydroxypropylmethylcellulose K15M, Carbopol 71G NF, and Eudragit L100-55. The mechanical properties of the tablets were improved as concentration of Kollidon SR or other polymers increased. It was found that Kollidon SR 30% (w/w) and HPMC 30% (w/w) tablets have f2 similarity factor of 83.5 in their Albuterol Sulphate dissolution profile. The marketed product was found to release 99.7% of drug content within 8h, while Kollidon SR and HPMC tablets with 30% (w/w) polymer concentration level released 92.7% and 92.9% respectively of drug content within 8h. Kollidon SR has a unique character of maintaining tablets geometric shape until the end of dissolution test, this is mainly due to the water insoluble content, polyvinyl acetate, forming 80% (w/w) of Kollidon SR, while the remaining content 20% (w/w) is the water soluble, polyvinylpyrrolidone, responsible for pore formation causing a diffusion controlled release. Drug release from all previous formulations is best described to be controlled by more than one kinetic mechanism of release.In conclusion, Kollidon SR and HPMC and Carbopol were found to be potential candidates for the development of extended release of Albuterol Sulphate tablets. © 2010.

Cite

CITATION STYLE

APA

Sakr, W., Alanazi, F., & Sakr, A. (2011). Effect of Kollidon® SR on the release of Albuterol Sulphate from matrix tablets. Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal, 19(1), 19–27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsps.2010.11.002

Register to see more suggestions

Mendeley helps you to discover research relevant for your work.

Already have an account?

Save time finding and organizing research with Mendeley

Sign up for free