Liver transplantation in Indian Armed Forces-initial experience

10Citations
Citations of this article
14Readers
Mendeley users who have this article in their library.

Abstract

BACKGROUND: This study retrospectively analyses the initial experience of liver transplantation (LT) in the Indian Armed Forces. METHOD: Fifty-three patients underwent LT at Army Hospital (R&R) DelhiCantt. Between March 2007 and March 2011. Of these 35 patients underwent deceased donor liver transplantation (DDLT) and living donor liver transplantation (LDLT) was carried out in 18 patients. The surgical techniques, complications and mortality were analyzed. RESULTS:A high consent rate of 35.9% for organ donation was achieved by the Armed Forces Organ Retrieval and Transplantation Authority (AORTA). Biliary complications occurred in five patients (9.4%). However, most of them could be managed by endoscopic interventions. Hepatic artery thrombosis (HAT) occurred in five patients (9.4%). Of these, two DDLT grafts were revascularised following HAT, by creating extra-anatomic arterial conduits with excellent outcome. The overall mortality was 18.8% (n = 10). There was no significant difference in the overall complications or mortality in patients undergoing DDLT or LDLT. CONCLUSION: The overall survival and morbidity in this study is comparable to those from other centres. Urgent revascularisation of grafts following HAT should be attempted as it can salvage grafts with satisfactory outcome. There is a reduction in the incidence of biliary complications with refinements in surgical techniques. © 2012, AFMS.

Author supplied keywords

Cite

CITATION STYLE

APA

Saha, A., Naidu, C. S., Ramesh, G. S., Chatterjee, J., Puri, P., Nandi, B., … Madan, R. (2012). Liver transplantation in Indian Armed Forces-initial experience. Medical Journal Armed Forces India, 68(2), 110–117. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-1237(12)60018-5

Register to see more suggestions

Mendeley helps you to discover research relevant for your work.

Already have an account?

Save time finding and organizing research with Mendeley

Sign up for free