Mid-term results after extensive vein patch reconstruction and internal mammary grafting of the diffusely diseased left anterior descending coronary artery

35Citations
Citations of this article
14Readers
Mendeley users who have this article in their library.

Abstract

Objective: To analyze the results of extensive reconstruction of the left anterior descending coronary artery (LAD) by an autologous vein patch, with or without endarterectomy (EA), associated with left internal mammary artery grafting onto the patch. Methods: Between January 1994 and April 2001, among 5871 myocardial revascularizations, 83 patients (1.4%), 77 male (93%), with a mean age ± SD of 64 ± 8 years (range 44-84) underwent the above mentioned procedure. Seventy-three of them (88%) were in Canadian Cardiovascular Society (CCS) Class III or IV, and 78 (94%) had a three-vessel disease. Mean preoperative ejection fraction was 58 ± 12%. Risk factors included hypertension (63%), family history (51%), hyperlipidemia (41%), smoking (38%), diabetes (19%). Mean number of anastomoses/patient was 3 ± 0.6. Mean length of vein patch was 2.8 ± 0.9 cm (range 2-6 cm). A total of 16% of the patients underwent associated LAD-EA (mean cardiopulmonary bypass time: 132 ± 21 min; mean aortic crossclamp time: 81 ± 15 min). Results: There was one hospital death (recurrent MI, 1.2%). Seven patients (8%) had a perioperative myocardial infarction, in three cases in the region supplied by the LAD (none after associated LAD-EA). Mean follow-up period was 47 ± 20 months (range 5-90) and is 99% complete. There were five late cardiac deaths (6%). A total of 74% survivors have no symptoms, 12% are in CCS Class I-II, and 14% in III-IV. Actuarial freedom from recurrent angina at 3 and 5 years is 77 and 69%, respectively. Follow-up angiograms (49 patients, 60%) revealed a full patent LAD graft in 82% of the cases (GI), versus poor run-off/occluded graft in the remaining 18% (GII). Anginal status was significantly worse in GII patients (P < 0.05). Conclusions: Extended reconstruction of the LAD coronary artery increases surgical risk. The procedure however enhances the probability for a complete revascularization in patients with an unfavourable anatomical substrate, with acceptable mid-term results. © 2002 Elsevier Science B.V. All rights reserved.

Cite

CITATION STYLE

APA

Santini, F., Casali, G., Lusini, M., D’Onofrio, A., Barbieri, E., Rigatelli, G., … Mazzucco, A. (2002). Mid-term results after extensive vein patch reconstruction and internal mammary grafting of the diffusely diseased left anterior descending coronary artery. In European Journal of Cardio-thoracic Surgery (Vol. 21, pp. 1020–1025). https://doi.org/10.1016/S1010-7940(02)00074-X

Register to see more suggestions

Mendeley helps you to discover research relevant for your work.

Already have an account?

Save time finding and organizing research with Mendeley

Sign up for free