Pulmonary artery banding: Still a valuable option in developing countries?

5Citations
Citations of this article
17Readers
Mendeley users who have this article in their library.

Abstract

Objective: We examined whether the socio-economic circumstances of a developing country justify pulmonary artery banding (PAB) for the deferral of perceived high-risk patients requiring biventricular repair. Methods: A retrospective cohort analysis was done on 143 consecutive patients with ventricular anatomy suitable for a biventricular repair, who had a pulmonary artery band applied between 1 January 2002 and 31 December 2007 as they were considered too high a risk to undergo corrective surgery. The goal in all patients was to lower their risk of definitive surgery by improving their clinical condition. The minimum follow-up period was 2 years with the closing date for data collection being 31 January 2010. The mean weight and age at PAB was 5.34 ± 2.94 kg and 9.9 ± 17.3 months. The endpointsof the study were mortality, interval hospital readmission, growth pattern post-banding, whether or not definitive correction was achieved, and the current follow-up status of uncorrected patients. Results: The hospital mortality was 8% (n = 12), the inter-stage mortality 21% (n = 30), and the total mortality 29% (n = 42). Positive growth was not shown in 50% following the banding procedure. The mean number of inter-current hospital admissions was 1.5 ± 2 times per patient. At the termination of data collection, after a mean interval of 24.5 ± 14.3 months, debanding and full correction was achieved in 43% (n = 62). In addition to the 29% (n = 42) that were confirmed to be dead, an additional 28% (n = 39) were not corrected and of these almost half were regarded as lost to follow-up. Thus, of the entire cohort of patients, 57% (n = 81) have not achieved definitive correction at the termination of data collection. Conclusion: A strategy of deferring biventricular repair by the application of a pulmonary artery band is ineffective under Third World conditions largely due to lack of patient compliance. This study shows that the overall mortality in the inter-stage period following PAB is high prior to definitive correction. Less than half of patients will eventually be repaired in a reasonable time frame and patient follow-up is unreliable. We conclude that consideration should be given to early definitive repair even in perceived high-risk cases. © The Author 2011. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery. All rights reserved.

Cite

CITATION STYLE

APA

Brooks, A., Geldenhuys, A., Zuhlke, L., Human, P., & Zilla, P. (2012). Pulmonary artery banding: Still a valuable option in developing countries? European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery, 41(2), 272–276. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejcts.2011.05.053

Register to see more suggestions

Mendeley helps you to discover research relevant for your work.

Already have an account?

Save time finding and organizing research with Mendeley

Sign up for free