Maintenance of subacute digoxin toxicosis in normal beagles

6Citations
Citations of this article
2Readers
Mendeley users who have this article in their library.
Get full text

Abstract

Subacute, nonfatal digoxin toxicosis was maintained in 10 beagles for a period of 17-20 days employing an iv loading dose of 0.125-0.150 mg/kg and daily iv maintenance doses of 0.015 mg/kg. Six of the dogs were also given, concurrent with the digoxin administration, the osmotic agent isosorbide (4, 8, or 12 mg/kg daily), po, for 2 consecutive 6-day periods separated by 1 day to test its effects on digoxin toxicosis. Two water, 4 digoxin-water, and 2 isosorbide control dogs were included in the test series. Electrocardiographic changes, reduction in food intake and weight loss were accepted as signs of digoxin toxicosis. Electrocardiographic signs of digoxin action persisted in 9 of the 10 animals. Nine of 10 animals receiving digoxin lost weight, and food intake was reduced in all digoxin-treated groups. The iv loading dose of 0.150 mg/kg appeared to be maximal for 100% survival. The simultaneous administration of isosorbide at all dose levels did not alter the signs of digoxin toxicosis. © 1973.

Cite

CITATION STYLE

APA

Fillmore, G. E., & Detweiler, D. K. (1973). Maintenance of subacute digoxin toxicosis in normal beagles. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, 25(3), 418–429. https://doi.org/10.1016/0041-008X(73)90315-3

Register to see more suggestions

Mendeley helps you to discover research relevant for your work.

Already have an account?

Save time finding and organizing research with Mendeley

Sign up for free