Skip to content

Athanasia Monika Mowinckel

  • MPhil
  • 3h-indexImpact measure calculated using publication and citation counts. Updated daily.
  • 113CitationsNumber of citations received by Athanasia Monika's publications. Updated daily.

Professional experience

PhD fellow

University of Oslo, Department of Psychology

June 2012 - June 2016(4 years)

Research assistant

University of Oslo, Department of Psychology

August 2011 - June 2012(10 months)

Education

Master of Philosophy

University of Oslo, Department of Psychology

August 2009 - June 2011(2 years)

Bachelor of Arts

University of Oslo, Department of Psychology

August 2005 - January 2009(3 years)

About

I am part of the cognitive and neuroscience division of the Department of Psychology. My PhD project is on decision making in adult ADHD, and how stimulant medication influences the decision making process in this patient group. I focus especially on reward based decisions (monetary rewards). In addition to this, I will try to see how adults with ADHD activate different brain areas during decisions and whether this is different to healthy controls, and how this process is altered by medication. This part of the project is done in collaboration with The Intervention Center at Oslo University Hospital on their 3 Tesla Phillips scanner. As both ADHD and decision making are related to the catecholamines dopamine and serotonin, I am also generally interested in how these neurotransmitters influence our behaviour. My PhD is part of a larger project with several researchers (please see panel to the right for link), and we cooperate with an ADHD clinic in Tønsberg, which is part of Vestre Viken Hospital Trust. Apart from my PhD project, I am also very interested in intrinsic brain activation, measured through fMRI. Task-based fMRI looks for changes in blood flow only equal to about 1%, what the brain does with the remaining 99% is something that has gained increasing interest in the neuroscientific field the last 10 years. This "resting state" can hopefully give us indications of how the brain is functionally organised, in comparison to the structural connectivity which is easier to measure. The hope is being able to use this intrinsic fMRI procedure to help diagnose functional problems, without patients needing to understand and remember complex experimental paradigms.

Co-authors (11)

  • Hauke Heekeren

Other IDs