• studied physics at Ruhr-Universität Bochum / Germany from October 1987 to November 1993
• 1990 / 1991 studied abroad at University of Sussex, Brighton, United Kingdom as a scholar of the DAAD (German academic exchange agency)
• 1992 /1993 worked on his diploma thesis in a collaboration of the School of Mathematical and Physical sciences , University of Sussex, Prof. D. Bailin and the Insitute Theoretische Physik II, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Prof. K. Goecke.
• graduated in November 1993 with a thesis in theoretical elemtary particle physics.
• worked as a PhD. student at the Institut für Neuroinformatik, Ruhr-Universität Bochum since January 1994 in the group of Prof. W. von Seelen.
• finished his PhD. in May 1998 with a thesis entitled Evolution of Structures - Optimization of Artificial Neural Structures for Information Processing. Gutachter Prof. Dr. W. von Seelen and Prof. Dr. C. von der Malsburg.
• worked as a research assistent (post doc) at the Institut für Neuroinformatik, Ruhr-Universität Bochum from May 1998 to April 1999 in the SONN research group.
• joined the Future Technology Research Division (FTR) at HONDA R&D EUROPE (Deutschland) GmbH in April 1999, still being affiliated also with the SONN research group at the Institut für Neuroinformatik, Ruhr-Universität Bochum.
• worked as Deputy Division Manager, Chief Scientist and head of the EL-TEC research group at the Future Technology Research Division (FTR) at HONDA R&D EUROPE (Deutschland) GmbH from 2001 to 2002
• was Chief Technology Officer at the Honda Research Institute Europe GmbH from 2003 - 2011
• is Honorary Professor, School of Computer Science, University of Birmingham, UK since 2007
• is Professor, Technical University of Darmstadt, Germany, since 2008
• is President of the Honda Research Institute Europe GmbH since April 2011