Clemente Fuggini was born in Mede (PV) April 7 1981 and lives in Ferrera Erbognone (PV).
From 2000 to 2005 he attends the degree in Civil Engineering at University of Pavia, where he gets the master degree in Civil Engineering cum laude in December 2005. From 2002 to 2005 he carries out tutorship activity of collaboration for the course of Physic Mathematics at the faculty of Engineering. In October 2006 he obtains the professional habilitation as a Civil and Environmental Engineer.
In October 2006 he is first classified in the test for the attribution of a PhD Scholarship in Civil Engineering at the University of Pavia. From October 2006 to October 2009 he is PhD student in Civil Engineering at the Department of Structural Mechanics of the University of Pavia.
In February 2010 he gets the PhD in Civil Engineering, with a dissertation entitled “Using Satellites Systems for Structural Monitoring: Accuracy, Uncertainty and Reliability”.
During the PhD he carries out research activities in the fields of structural monitoring, with particular attention paid to satellite positioning systems (GPS), and passive and semi-active structural control solutions. In these fields he is author of papers presented in national and international congress, of books chapters and of memories published on peer review international journals.
Form 2006 to 2008 he carries out didactic seminars for the course of Physic Mathematics at University of Pavia and from October 2007 for the course of Structural Mechanics A. In addition he serves as assistant for the courses of Wind and Seismic Risk and Structural Safety, where he becomes member of the examination commission.
In September 2007 he is nominated “Cultore” for the scientific field ICAR08 at University of Pavia.
In October 2007 he wins a CISM Scholarship for the International Course “Semi-active vibration suppression: the best from active and passive technologies”.
In May 2009 he is lecturer at the “First Steps in Research Symposium” at University of Pavia, presenting the research work entitled “Satellites Technologies for the Monitoring of Complex Structural Systems”.
In July 2009 he attends the “Asia-Pacific Summer School on Smart Structures Technology”, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign. He is an invited student lecturer presenting the work entitled “Using Satellites Systems for Structural Health Monitoring: Accuracy and Reliability”. He is first classified in the student competition of the Summer School.
From March to October 2009 he serves as consultant engineering for the Innovation and Research Division of D’Appolonia S.p.A. being involved in numerical simulations of structural systems for the seismic retrofit of masonry buildings.
From November 2009 he is employer at D’Appolonia S.p.A., working as engineer in the Industrial Innovation Division. He is involved in R&D activities within FP6 and FP7 European Projects in the civil and transport engineering sectors focused on structural health monitoring (SHM), smart materials and structures, innovative reinforced solution for existing building, power harvesting technologies for the highway sector nd satellite based (GNSS) SHM of civil constructions and railway systems.
C. Fuggini has a good knowledge of program languages (Matlab), structural analysis softwares (Ansys, Marc, Sap200NonLinear, SeismoStruct, Straus, Etabs, etc.), data acquisition and data elaboration software (LabView), data processing software of satellite signals (Spider, GNSS QC).
C. Fuggini knows English and French well, Spanish basic.
List of recent publications
- Fuggini C., 2010, Using Satellites Systems for Structural Monitoring: Accuracy, Uncertainty and Reliability, Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy.
- Casciati, F., Fuggini, C., 2010, Monitoring a Steel Building using GPS Sensors, accepted for publication in Smart Structures and Systems
- Faravelli L., Ubertini F., Fuggini C., 2010, System identification of a super high-rise building via a stochastic subspace approach, accepted for publication in Smart Structures and Systems
- Faravelli L., Fuggini C., Ubertini F., 2010, Experimental Study on Hybrid Control of Multimodal Cable Vibrations, Meccanica, DOI 10.1007/s11012-010-9364-2
- Faravelli L., Fuggini C., Ubertini F., 2010, Towards a hybrid control solution for cable dynamics: theoretical prediction and experimental validation, Structural Control and Health Monitoring, vol. 17(4), pp. 386-403, John Wiley & Sons
- Casciati, F., Fuggini, C., 2009, Engineering Vibration Monitoring by GPS: Long Duration Records, Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Vibration, vol. 8(3), pp. 459-467
- Casciati F., Faravelli L., Fuggini C., 2008, Cable vibration mitigation by added SMA wires, Acta Mechanica, vol. 195, pp. 141-155, SpringerWien, New York
- Faravelli L., Fuggini C., Ubertini F., 2008, Adaptive solution for intelligent cable vibration mitigation, Advances in Science and Technology, vol. 56, pp. 137-146, Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland, doi:10.4028/www.scientific.net/AST.56.137, ISBN 978-3-908158-13-4
- F. Casciati, C. Fuggini, "Towards Global Positioning System-Based Structural Health Monitoring", in B.H.V. Topping, L.F. Costa Neves, R.C. Barros, (Editors), "Trends in Civil and Structural Engineering Computing", Saxe-Coburg Publications, Stirlingshire, UK, Chapter 15, pp. 319-352, 2009, ISBN 978-1-874672-42-5, doi:10.4203/csets.22.15
- L. Faravelli, C. Fuggini and F. Ubertini: Hybrid Control Procedures in Mitigating Cable Vibrations, in H. Irschik, M. Krommer, K. Watanabe, T. Furukawa (Eds.), “Mechanics and Model-Based Control of Smart Materials and Structures” SpringerWienNewYork, Chapter 5, pp.39-48, ISBN 978-3-211-99483-2, doi: 10.1007/978-3-211-99484-9
- Inaudi D., Del Grosso A., Messervey T., Walder R., Fuggini C., Long Term Structural Monitoirng of the Royal Villa of Monza, Proceedings of the CSHM-3 2010, August 11-13, 2010, Ottawa- Gatineau, Canada
- Faravelli L., Ubertini F., Fuggini C., Subspace Identification of the Guangzhou new TV Tower, Proceedings of the 5th World Conference on Structural Control and Monitoring, July 12-14, 2010, Shinjuku, Tokyio, paper n°068
- Messervey B. T., Zangani D., Fuggini C., Sensor-embedded textiles for the reinforcement, dynamic characterisation, and structural health monitoring of masonry structuress, Proceedings of the Fifth European Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring 2010, June 28 – July 2, 2010, Sorrento, Italy, pp. 1075-1282, DEStech Publications Inc., Lancaster (USA), ISBN 978-1-60595-024-2
- Faravelli L., Ubertini F., Fuggini C., System Identification Toward FEM Updating of a Super High-Rise Buildings, Proceedings of the Fifth European Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring 2010, June 28 – July 2, 2010, Sorrento, Italy, pp. 1023-1030, DEStech Publications Inc., Lancaster (USA), ISBN 978-1-60595-024-2
- Casciati F., Fuggini C., GPS Based Structural Health Monitoring: Uncertainty of the Measurements, Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Structural Safety and Reliability (ICOSSAR2009), September 14-17, 2009, Kansai University, Osaka, pp. 2108-2114, ISBN 978-0-415-47557-0
- L. Faravelli, S. Casciati, C. Fuggini, Full-scale experiment using GPS sensors for dynamic tests, Proceedings of the XIX Congress AIMETA, September 14-17, 2009, Ancona, CD ROM
- Casciati F., Alsaleh R., Fuggini C. GPS-Based SHM of a tall building: torsional effects, Proceedings of the 7th International Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring 2009, September 9-11, 2009, Stanford University, Stanford, pp. 140-147
- AlSaleh R., Casciati F., Fuggini C., Detecting the torsional behavior of a tall building by GPS receivers, COMPDYN 2009, ECCOMAS Thematic Conference on Computational Methods in Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, June 22-24, 2009, Rhodes, CD-ROM (article CD438)
- Casciati F., Fuggini C., GPS Based Structural Identification and health monitoring, Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Structural Control (ECSC2008), September 8-12, 2008, St. Petersburg, pp. 133-140, A. Belyaev and D. Indeitsev (Editors), ISBN 978-5-904045-10-4
- Casciati F., Fuggini C., GPS Based Structural Identification: a Feasibility Study, 8th World Congress on Computational Mechanics (WCCM8), 5th European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering (ECCOMAS 2008), June 30 – July 5, 2008, Venice, Abstract CD-ROM
- Casciati F., Fuggini C., Monitoring an Industrial Steel Building by GPS Receivers, Proceedings of the Fourth European Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring 2008, July 2-4, 2008, Cracow, pp. 219-226, DEStech Publications Inc., Lancaster (USA), ISBN 978-1-932078-94-7
- Casciati F., Fuggini C., Measuring the displacements of a steel structure by GPS units, Proceedings of the First International Symposium on Life-Cycle Engineering (IALCCE08), June, 11-14, 2008, Varenna, pp. 501-506, Taylor & Francis Group, London, ISBN 978-0-415-46857-2
- Casciati F., Fuggini C., Bonanno C., Dual frequency GPS receivers: reliability of precision of the measures, Proceedings of the 4ème Colloque en Interdisciplinaire en Instrumentation C2I, October 17-19, 2007, Nancy, pp. 604-612, Hermes Science, Paris, ISBN 978-2-7462-1928-1
- Casciati F., Fuggini C., Ricevitori GPS a doppia frequenza: affidabilità di precisione nelle misure (in Italian), Proceedings of the 12th National Conference on Non-Destructive tests, Monitoring and Diagnostic (AIPnD 2007), October 11-13, 2007, Milan, CD ROM (article n°16), ISBN 978-88-89758-03-8, published on The e-Journal & Exhibition of Nondestructive Testing, http://www.ndt.net/search/docs.php3?MainSource=-1&id=7255, ISSN 1435-4934
- Ubertini F., Fuggini C., Confronto di due tecniche per l’identificazione e il monitoraggio dei cavi strutturali mediante prove sperimentali (in Italian), Proceedings of the 12th National Conference on Non-Destructive tests, Monitoring and Diagnostic (AIPnD 2007), October 11-13, 2007, Milan, CD ROM (article n°17), ISBN 978-88-89758-03-8, published on The e-Journal & Exhibition of Nondestructive Testing, http://www.ndt.net/search/docs.php3?MainSource=-1&id=7256, ISSN 1435-4934