(Tenured Associate Professor with Habilitation)
University of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro
School of Life & Environment Sciences-Department of Genetics and Biotechnology
5000-801 Vila Real, PORTUGAL
Functional Genomics and Proteomics Unit
BIOSCOPE Group | Chem4Omics | UCIBIO@REQUIMTE
Tel.: (+ 351) 259 350 530/259 350 842 |Fax: (+ 351) 259 350 480
• Head of Functional Genomics and Proteomics Unit, University of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro, since 2010.
• Member of the BIOSCOPE Research Group, UCIBIO-REQUIMTE, Faculty of Science and Technology of Nova University of Lisbon, since January 2016.
• Member of the Centre of Genomics and Biotechnology of the University of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro (CGB-UTAD), 2006-2014.
• Member of the Centre of Genetics and Biotechnology of the University of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro (CGB-UTAD), since the foundation in 2003-2006.
• Member of the Institute of Agrarian and Agrofood Sciences and Technologies of the University of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro (ICETA-UTAD) (1998-2003)
Teaching at the Department of Genetics and Biotechnology (DGB) and in International Courses:
• Genomics and Proteomics; Bioinformatics and Molecular Analysis; Molecular Genetics; Populations and Quantitative Genetics; Biotechnology and Medical Nanotechnology, Forensic Genetics and Genotyping, Biotechnology and Food Quality, General Genetics.
• Genomics and Proteomics on ERASMUS mobilities on Université Blaise Pascal - Clermont-Ferrand 2, in Clermont-Ferrand (France), Universidad Politécnica de Madrid - Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Agrónomos de Madrid”, in Madrid (Spain), and Universidad de La Rioja”, in Logroño (Spain).
Education and Degrees:
• Graduation in Biology-Geology, University of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro (UTAD), 1993.
• Post-graduation grant of Project of Technological Priority (PTP). European Commission DG XII, Life Sciences and Technologies, Biotechnology, 1996.
• Master in Genetic Resources and Plant Breeding, UTAD, 1997. “Institute National de la Recherche Agronomique” (INRA), Clermont-Ferrand, France.
• PhD. in Genetics (adviser: Dr. Gérard Branlard), UTAD, 2001. “Institute National de la Recherche Agronomique” (INRA), Clermont-Ferrand, France.
• Post-Graduation in Legal Medicine, Institute National of Legal Medicine - Porto/ Faculty of Medicine of Porto University, 2002.
• Post-doctoral training in Molecular Genetics, as Visitant Scientist, “Gene Technology in Cereal Improvement” (with Dr. Sadequr Rahman and Dr. Cristina Gianibelli), 2004/05. Commonwealth Scientific & Industrial Research Organisation” (CSIRO), Canberra, Australia.
Positions and Activities:
• Vice-Coordinator of the Master Graduation “Biotechnology for Health Sciences”, UTAD (since 2010)
• Secretary of Portuguese Society of Genetics (2010-2012)
• Coordinator of the Master Graduation “Biotechnology for Health Sciences”, UTAD (2008-2009)
• Vice-Coordinator of the 3 years Graduation “Genetics and Biotechnology”, UTAD (2008-2009)
• President of the Pedagogical Area of Agrarian Sciences, APCA, UTAD (2003-2007)
• Coordinator of the 4 years Graduation “Enology”, UTAD (2003-2007)
• Bursar of Portuguese Society of Genetics (2006-2010)
• Associate Professor, DGB-UTAD (since 2006)
• Assistant Professor and Teaching Assistant, DGB-UTAD (1993-2005)
• Professor in charge on Biology, School “Camilo Castelo Branco” of Vila Real and School “D. Dinis” of Lisbon (1992-1993)
• Monitor, DGB-UTAD (1991-1993)
Area of scientific activity:
Genetics and Biotechnology
Domain of specialization:
Domains: Functional Genomics, Proteomics and Bioinformatics.
• Nutrigenomics and proteomics applied to proteaginous species.
• Proteomic characterization of genetic resources of wheat, rye and triticale.
• Proteomic of new genes controlling grain functionality and allergenicity applied to wheat, rye and triticale.
• Genomic and proteomic evaluation of antibiotic resistance in bacterial strains of wild and domestic animals and humans.
• Probiotics in biotechnology and health.
Scientific Societies Membership:
• Member of the: Portuguese Association of Biologists (since 1993), Society of Biotechnology (since 1994), Portuguese Society of Biochemistry (since 1994), Portuguese Society of Genetics (since 1994), Wild Animals Vigilance Euro-Mediterranean Society (WAVES) (since 2007) and Portuguese Society of Microbiology (since 2009).
• Publication: More than 100 scientific peer articles, 12 book chapters, 12 oral presentations by invitation, 32 oral presentations, 250 communications in scientific meetings, 11 publications in GenBank, 8 publications in UniProt, 6 records the MLST, 13 articles in technical and scientific journals and 10 educational series.
• His past successful supervising includes 94 students and the participation at 114 jury of academic degrees.
First Report on vanA-Enterococcus faecalis Recovered from Soils Subjected to Long-Term Livestock Agricultural Practices in Azores Archipelago
International Journal of Environmental Research (2018) 12(1)
Next-generation therapies for celiac disease: The gluten-targeted approaches