My research fields are Matrix Biology, Cell Signaling, Functional Cell Properties, Pharmacological Targeting at Molecular and Cellular Levels, Biological Testing, Cell mimetic models for cancer metastasis, Structure Analysis of glycosaminoglycans and Evaluation of Cytotoxicity.
• Evaluation of pharmacological agents at molecular and cellular levels (functional cell properties, receptors and intracellular pathways, gene expression and regulation)
• Health and Safety issues: toxicity evaluation at cell level
• Development, validation and biological applications of high-performance liquid chromatographic & capillary electrophoresis methods for fine biochemical and structural analysis of carbohydrates, proteoglycans and glycoproteins in biological samples (Cell cultures, tissues, biological matrices)
• Structure, analysis and interactions of important biological molecules (growth factors/peptides, amino acid derivatives)
1. International Book Edition: Extracellular Matrix: Pathobiology and Signaling (Nikos Karamanos Editor), ISBN 978-3-11-025876-9 (2012), Walter DeGruyter, Berlin/Boston
2. Special Issue (N. Karamanos, guest editor): Matrix-mediated cell behavior and properties, Biochimica et Biophysica Acta-General Subject (2014)
3. MiniReview Series (N. Karamanos and A. Passi, coordinators): Novel insights into matrix pathobiology regulatory mechanisms in health and disease , FEBS J, 2014
4. Special Isuue (N. Karamanos and R. Linhardt, coordinators): Proteoglycans signaling, targeting and therapeutics, FEBS J (2013) 280 (10), 2119–2534
5. MiniReview Series (V. Hascall and N. Karamanos, coordinators): Regulatory roles of hyaluronan in health and disease, FEBS J, Vol. 278(9) (2011)
6. MiniReview Series (H. Nagase and N. Karamanos, coordinators): Metalloproteinases in Health and Disease: challenges and the future prospects, FEBS J, Vol. 278(1) (2011)
7. MiniReview Series (R. Iozzo and N. Karamanos, coordinators): Proteoglycans in Health and Disease: emerging concepts and future directions, FEBS J, Vol. 277 (2010)
8. Special issue: Matrix Pathobiology, Signaling and Molecular Targets, Conn. Tissue Res. (2008) Vol. 49, issues 2 & 3.
9. Special issue: Solid phase assays for molecules with biopharmaceutical importance, J. Pharm. Biomed. Analysis, Elsevier, Vol. 34 (2004).
10. Special issue: CE of carbohydrates (Analysis of carbohydrate macromolecules by capillary electrophoresis: glycoproteins, proteogycans/glycosaminoglycans and glycolipids), Biomedical Chromatography, Wiley Interscience, Vol. 16 (2002).