Dr Songmin Shang (Dr Song-min SHANG, Dr SHANG Songmin) 尚頌民博士
Associate Professor 副教授
• PhD Student Supervisor 博士研究生導師/博士研究生导师
• Post-Doctoral Research Fellow Supervisor 博士后研究員導師/博士后研究员导师
• Chairman of Departmental Infrastructure Management Committee
Institute of Textiles and Clothing, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Dr SHANG graduated from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) in 1997 with a PhD. He has been active in both the academic world and industry many years with rich work experiences.
After obtained his PhD, Dr SHANG had worked in textile industry for 10 years and has senior executive experiences. He served as Deputy General Manager and Group Chief Technical Officer in two Hong Kong stock listed companies. He is a renowned textile coloration and finishing expert. Dr. Shang has made remarkable achievements in developing low-carbon-emission coloration technology and published influential technical papers in many important textile countries.
Dr Shang joined The Hong Kong Polytechnic University as a faculty member in Oct 2007. He teaches courses of materials science, chemistry, textile and apparel technology. He could combine theoretical knowledge with practical experience and scientific research into his lectures.
His main research fields are the science and engineering of new materials (nanomaterials, composites, biomaterials, etc.), innovative and sustainable textiles technology, eco-friendly and low-carbon-emission coloration and finishing technology.
As of June 2017, Dr Shang has published more than 200 academic and technical papers, of which more than 100 articles are SCI journal papers, and more than 50 SCI papers have impact factors above 3. His 3 SCI papers are listed among the HIGHLY CITED PAPERS by Web of Science in which 2 papers’ citations are over 300 and 200 respectively. The total citation of his publications is over 2,000. His H-index in the Web of Science and Google Scholar is 24 and 26 respectively.
As the Principal Investigator, Dr Shang has conducted a number of high-level research projects, most of which are funded by the Hong Kong Innovation and Technology Commission (ITF projects) and the Hong Kong Research Grants Council (GRF projects). Received more than HK $ 30 million in research funding. As the Principal Investigator of the research projects, Dr. Shang also received three Chinese patents.
Dr. Shang received a number of prestigious awards:
1) As the Principal Investigator, won a Gold Medal and the Special Prize in the International Eureka Contest of Brussels Innova Fair 2009, Brussels, Belgium (19 – 21 Nov 2009).
2) An awardee of Hong Kong “Early Career Award 2012/2013” 香港「2012/13年度傑出青年學者獎」awarded by The Research Grants Council (RGC), University Grants Committee (UGC) of Hong Kong.
3) An awardee of PolyU PTeC’s Outstanding Professional Services Awards 2012 – Most Valued Project Award.
4) As the Principal Investigator, won a Bronze Medal — The 44th International Exhibition of Inventions Geneva, Switzerland, April 2016.
5) As the Project Consultant, won a Bronze Medal — The 44th International Exhibition of Inventions Geneva, Switzerland, April 2016.
6) An awardee of the International Association of Advanced Materials Medal – 2016 by the International Association of Advanced Materials in American Advanced Materials Congress – 2016, Miami, USA, Dec 2016.
7) As the 2nd team member, won a Gold Medal with Congratulations of Jury — The 45th International Exhibition of Inventions Geneva, Switzerland, April 2017.
8) As the Corresponding Author, won the best paper award in the 14th Asian Textile Conference (ATC-14). Engling Hu,
• Adjunct Professor, College of Chemistry, Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology (CCEB), Donghua University, Shanghai, China, since April 2002
• Committee Member, The committee of the Dyeing & Finishing Special Committee, China Textile Engineering Society, since Mar 2002
• Senior Engineer, awarded by Department of Personnel of Guangdong Province, China on Oct 2000
Photo-thermal conversion and thermal insulation properties of ZrC coated polyester fabric