Carbon stocks assessment of a selectively logged dipterocarp forest and wood processing mill in the Philippines

  • Lasco R
  • MacDicken K
  • Pulhin F
 et al. 
  • 58


    Mendeley users who have this article in their library.
  • 16


    Citations of this article.


This study determined effects of selective logging on carbon (C) stocks of a dipterocarp forest in the Philippines. Biomass C was determined from fixed plots using a chronosequence of 1–21 years after logging. The total C budget within an existing timber concession in the area, including that in the wood processing mill, was analysed. Unlogged forests had mean C stocks of 258 Megagrams of C per hectare (Mg C ha–1), of which 34% was in soil organic carbon (SOC). About 98% of above-ground biomass C was in trees ≥ 19.5 cm diameter-at-breast height. After logging, aboveground C stocks declined by about 50% (100 Mg C ha–1). In between the cutting cycle of 35 years, logged forests sequester C at the rate of about 1.4 Mg C ha–1 year–1. Before the next harvest, forests recovered about 70% of the original biomass C. Changes in SOC showed no apparent relationship with the number of years after logging. About 40% of woody aboveground biomass C was converted to lumber and veneer/plywood or sold as logs. Most of the remaining 60% was emitted to the atmosphere as carbon dioxide through burning as fuel and decay.

Author-supplied keywords

  • Carbon budget
  • Carbon sequestration
  • Dipterocarp forest
  • Selective logging

Get free article suggestions today

Mendeley saves you time finding and organizing research

Sign up here
Already have an account ?Sign in

Find this document


  • Rodel LascoThe Oscar M Lopez Center

  • K. G. MacDicken

  • F. B. Pulhin

  • I. Q. Guillermo

  • R. F. Sales

  • R. V.O. Cruz

Cite this document

Choose a citation style from the tabs below

Save time finding and organizing research with Mendeley

Sign up for free