Cognitive Mapping as an Emergency Management Training Exercise

  • Alexander D
  • 9


    Mendeley users who have this article in their library.
  • N/A


    Citations of this article.


This paper describes a scenario-based, table-top exercise which was given to a variety of postgraduate university classes in emergency preparedness and to some groups of trainee disaster managers. Participants in the exercise were asked to draw maps of a developing crisis situation and suggest a set of tactics for managing it. The results were analysed using theories of cognitive mapping. They showed that seven distinct kinds of map emerged from the sample of 67 collected. These were labelled well-defined, systematic, emblematic, ill-defined (cryptic), compressed, diagrammatic (ideographic) and mirror image. About 60 per cent of the maps depicted the majority of the elements, while the remaining 40 per cent were lacking in detail to varying degrees. The cognitive maps therefore introduced distortions into the representation of elements, and these were negatively correlated with the abilities, experience, knowledge and training of their authors, as manifested by their other work in the classroom. The extraordinary variety of perceptions of space and place during emergencies has considerable implications for how such events are managed during the crisis phase. [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR]; Copyright of Journal of Contingencies & Crisis Management is the property of Wiley-Blackwell and its content may not be copied or emailed to multiple sites or posted to a listserv without the copyright holder's express written permission. However, users may print, download, or email articles for individual use. This abstract may be abridged. No warranty is given about the accuracy of the copy. Users should refer to the original published version of the material for the full abstract. (Copyright applies to all Abstracts.)

Author-supplied keywords

  • COGNITIVE maps (Psychology)
  • CRISIS management
  • EMERGENCY management
  • GEOGRAPHICAL perception

Get free article suggestions today

Mendeley saves you time finding and organizing research

Sign up here
Already have an account ?Sign in

Find this document


  • David E Alexander

Cite this document

Choose a citation style from the tabs below

Save time finding and organizing research with Mendeley

Sign up for free