Fatal cyanide poisoning occurred in 24 of 50 Angora goats between two and 24 hours after eating leaves from a freshly felled sugar gum (Eucalyptus cladocalyx). In PM examination the blood failed to clot and was bright red. Chewed leaves of the tree comprised less than 5% of the total rumen contents, which had the typical "bitter almond" smell. Treatment of visibly affected goats with sodium nitrite and sodium thiosulphate i/v was followed by recovery of 26 goats within 24 hours. It is pointed out that free HCN in the rumen should be fixed by oral as well as intravenous treatment, which may need to be repeated because of continuing liberation of HCN in the rumen.
Mendeley saves you time finding and organizing research
Choose a citation style from the tabs below