Fish farming of native species in Colombia: Current situation and perspectives

  • Cruz-Casallas P
  • Medina-Robles V
  • Velasco-Santamaría Y
  • 29

    Readers

    Mendeley users who have this article in their library.
  • 7

    Citations

    Citations of this article.

Abstract

In Colombia and the rest of the world, the decrease in capture fisheries production has turned the aquaculture into an alternative source of protein for the populations food security as well as an important productive activity, generating employment and income for the rural communities. The Colombian pisciculture is based on red Tilapia Oreochromis sp. (Linnaeus), Rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss (Walbaum) and cachama blanca Piaractus brachypomus (Cuvier), which currently represent around 96% of the total national production. The remaining 4% comes from other farmed species such as bocachico Prochilodus magdalenae (Steindachner), carp Cyprinus carpio (Linnaeus) and yamúBrycon amazonicus (Spix & Agassiz). From the three main fish species, cachama blanca is the only native species, which has shown excellent performance in pond farming due to its rusticity, omnivorous habits, docility, meat quality, food conversion and disease resistance. The limited offer of Colombian fish farmed species determines its currently low competitiveness and restricted impact on the international markets; thus making necessary to explore the potential of new fish species in order to introduce them to the pisciculture system and to expand the range of fish farming species. A good alternative is the introduction of native catfish, which have great potential for fish farming activity. © 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.

Author-supplied keywords

  • Aquaculture
  • Colombia
  • Leiarius marmoratus
  • Native fish species
  • Piaractus brachypomus
  • Pisciculture

Get free article suggestions today

Mendeley saves you time finding and organizing research

Sign up here
Already have an account ?Sign in

Find this document

Get full text

Authors

  • Pablo Emilio Cruz-Casallas

  • Víctor Mauricio Medina-Robles

  • Yohana María Velasco-Santamaría

Cite this document

Choose a citation style from the tabs below

Save time finding and organizing research with Mendeley

Sign up for free