The Hopital Albert Schweitzer was established near the village of Deschapelles in Haiti in 1956 by Dr. and Mrs. William Larimer Mellon of Arizona. The hospital currently has 162 acute care beds and provides inpatient and outpatient services to a district of about 160,000 people. In 1983, visits to the hospital and its dispensaries totaled 39,163. Since its founding the hospital has evolved into a tertiary care facility but has also established primary care programs through seven satellite dispensaries. Health agents and midwives play an important role in the hospital's field programs. Outreach programs concentrate on health and nutrition education, immunizations, supplementary food programs, tuberculosis screening, oral rehydration for infants with diarrheal diseases and cord cutting clinics for the prevention of neonatal tetanus. This paper describes the principal causes of morbidity and mortality in this area of Haiti, the functioning of the hospital and both its medical and non-medical programs. The latter include agricultural irrigation and well digging projects, and wood working, weaving and ceramic facilities to encourage local artisans.
Mendeley saves you time finding and organizing research
Choose a citation style from the tabs below