The Bockus International Society of Gastroenterology was founded in 1958 in honour of Dr Henry L Bockus (1894-1982) by his former students, residents and fellows at the Graduate School of Medicine of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA. It was a celebrated tribute to Dr Bockus' outstanding leadership in the development and teaching of clinical gastroenterology as a subspecialty, which was in its infancy in the post- World War II era. He established the first formal training course in clinical gastroenterology in America. His department of gastroenterology became the leading graduate school of clinical gastroenterology in the world, training many clinical gastroenterologists in America and from many regions around the world. For many years, Dr Bockus was the most prominent American in world gastroenterology. The Bockus Society holds biennial scientific congresses in different continents, thus continuing to foster Dr Bockus' lifelong interest and vision to promote international medical friendship, and excellence in education and research collaboration. ©2012 Pulsus Group Inc. All rights reserved.
Chaun, H. (2012). The Bockus International Society of Gastroenterology: Historical review. Canadian Journal of Gastroenterology. Pulsus Group Inc. https://doi.org/10.1155/2012/254181