This is a case of a two-year-old boy who has been suffering from food regurgitation and frequent vomiting over the past seven months which were progressively worsening with time. He was initially diagnosed with gastroesophageal reflux disease and treated accordingly but responded only minimally. Investigations and interventional procedures including a chest X-ray showed a metallic round object in the upper esophagus consistent with a button battery which was removed via a thoracotomy after an esophagoscopy was not successful. This child would not have developed such serious complications and would not have required major surgery had the foreign body been identified and removed early on.
Alam, E., Mourad, M., Akel, S., & Hadi, U. (2015). A Case of Battery Ingestion in a Pediatric Patient: What Is Its Importance? Case Reports in Pediatrics, 2015, 1–3. https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/345050