Maternal periodontal disease as a significant risk factor for low birth weight in pregnant women attending a secondary care hospital in South India: A Case-control study

  • Mathew R
  • Bose A
  • Prasad J
 et al. 
  • 2

    Readers

    Mendeley users who have this article in their library.
  • N/A

    Citations

    Citations of this article.

Abstract

Context: Periodontal disease (PD) is a common infection in the community; however, its relationship with low birth weight (LBW) has not been well-established. Aims: The aim was to determine the association between maternal PD and LBW. Settings and Design: A case-control (1:1) study. Materials and Methods: The study population comprised of women who delivered at the hospital during the study period (September 2011 to February 2012).Women between 18 and 35 years of age, who delivered singleton, live infants during study period with at least 18 teeth were enrolled. Those with pregnancy induced hypertension, gestational diabetes, blood-borne viral infections, periodontal treatment within the past 6 months and valvular heart disease were excluded. Control population was parity matched to the cases. Statistical Analysis Used: Chi-square test, t-test and univariant and multivariant logistic regression were used to analyze various study findings, and level of significance was set at 5% (P < 0.05). Results: PD was independently associated with LBW (odds ratio: 4.94, 95% confidence interval: 1.03-23.65, P=0.045). Additionally, conventional risk factors such as maternal height (P=0.029), secondary schooling (

Author-supplied keywords

  • Low birth weight
  • periodontal disease
  • pregnancy

Get free article suggestions today

Mendeley saves you time finding and organizing research

Sign up here
Already have an account ?Sign in

Find this document

Authors

  • R J Mathew

  • A Bose

  • J H Prasad

  • J P Muliyil

  • D Singh

Cite this document

Choose a citation style from the tabs below

Save time finding and organizing research with Mendeley

Sign up for free