Zinc Toxicosis from penny ingestion in dogs by

  • Villar D
  • 12

    Readers

    Mendeley users who have this article in their library.
  • 10

    Citations

    Citations of this article.

Abstract

It is common for pets, especially dogs, to ingest coins. Among the circulating U.S. coins, only pennies pose a toxicity hazard. Pennies minted after 1982 contain a zinc core surrounded by copper plating. Each penny contains about 2,440 mg of elemental zinc1. Subacute or chronic zinc toxicosis can affect the renal, hepatic, gastrointestinal, and hematopoietic tissues.1-3 Zinc toxicosis can cause hemolytic anemia, which can lead to hemoglobinemia and hemogloburinia.1-3 Because of these severe effects, consider all penny ingestions potentially dangerous, and treat each case aggressively.

Get free article suggestions today

Mendeley saves you time finding and organizing research

Sign up here
Already have an account ?Sign in

Find this document

  • SGR: 0036486953
  • PUI: 35155673
  • SCOPUS: 2-s2.0-0036486953
  • ISSN: 87507943

Authors

  • David Villar

Cite this document

Choose a citation style from the tabs below

Save time finding and organizing research with Mendeley

Sign up for free