Comparação dos níveis de ansiedade e depressão entre idosos ativos e sedentários

8Citations
Citations of this article
124Readers
Mendeley users who have this article in their library.

Abstract

Background: The anxiety and depression are a public health problem in the elderly. Currently some studies have been shown a positive association between physical activity and good mental health. Objective: To compare the possible relationship between levels of anxiety and depression among active and sedentary elderly. Methods: The sample comprised a total of 72 patients divided into one group of 38 elderly subjects (GS) and another group of 34 physically assets (GA). These answered a questionnaire with socio-demographic characteristics and the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale. Results: The variables that influenced the presence of anxiety and depression were the level of physical activity (p < 0.001) and the level of instruction (p < 0.01). The GS showed 38 more probability to develop symptoms of anxiety and depression and subjects without qualifications had 11 more probability to develop these symptoms. For the GS 35 (92.1%) patients had levels of anxiety or depression and 3 (7.9%) did not. In GA, the presence of anxiety or depression were observed only in 8 (23.5%) and the remaining 26 (76.5%) revalidates not any kind of these symptoms (p < 0.05). Discussion: Practicing physical activity may represent a very important factor to reduce levels of anxiety and depression in elderly.

Cite

CITATION STYLE

APA

Minghelli, B., Tomé, B., Nunes, C., Neves, A., & Simões, C. (2013). Comparação dos níveis de ansiedade e depressão entre idosos ativos e sedentários. Revista de Psiquiatria Clinica, 40(2), 71–76. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0101-60832013000200004

Register to see more suggestions

Mendeley helps you to discover research relevant for your work.

Already have an account?

Save time finding and organizing research with Mendeley

Sign up for free