Closed-cell stent for coil embolization of intracranial aneurysms: Clinical and angiographic results

33Citations
Citations of this article
34Readers
Mendeley users who have this article in their library.

Abstract

BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE: Recanalization is observed in 20-40% of endovascularly treated intracranial aneurysms. To further reduce the recanalization and expand endovascular treatment, we evaluated the safety and efficacy of closed-cell SACE. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Between 2007 and 2010, 147 consecutive patients (110 women; mean age, 54 years) presenting at 2 centers with 161 wide-neck ruptured and unruptured aneurysms were treated by using SACE. Inclusion criteria were wide-neck aneurysms (>4 mm or a dome/neck ratio ≤2). Clinical outcomes were assessed by the mRS score at baseline, discharge, and follow-up. Aneurysm occlusion was assessed on angiograms by using the RS immediately after SACE and at follow-up. RESULTS: Eighteen aneurysms (11%) were treated following rupture. Procedure-related mortality and permanent neurologic deficits occurred in 2 (1.4%) and 5 patients (3.4%), respectively. In total, 7 patients (4.8%) died, including 2 with reruptures. Of the 140 surviving patients, 113 (80.7%) patients with 120 aneurysms were available for follow-up neurologic examination at a mean of 11.8 months. An increase in mRS score from admission to follow-up by 1, 2, or 3 points was seen in 7 (6.9%), 1 (1%), and 2 (2%) patients, respectively. Follow-up angiography was performed in 120 aneurysms at a mean of 11.9 months. Recanalization occurred in 12 aneurysms (10%), requiring retreatment in 7 (5.8%). Moderate in-stent stenosis was seen in 1 (0.8%), which remained asymptomatic. CONCLUSIONS: This series adds to the evidence demonstrating the safety and effectiveness of SACE in the treatment of intracranial aneurysms. However, SACE of ruptured aneurysms and premature termination of antiplatelet treatment are associated with increased morbidity and mortality.

Cite

CITATION STYLE

APA

Wakhloo, A. K., Linfante, I., Silva, C. F., Samaniego, A., Dabus, G., Etezadi, V., … Gounis, M. J. (2012). Closed-cell stent for coil embolization of intracranial aneurysms: Clinical and angiographic results. American Journal of Neuroradiology, 33(9), 1651–1656. https://doi.org/10.3174/ajnr.A3034

Register to see more suggestions

Mendeley helps you to discover research relevant for your work.

Already have an account?

Save time finding and organizing research with Mendeley

Sign up for free