Impact of radiation on the incidence and management of ureteroenteric strictures: a contemporary single center analysis

0Citations
Citations of this article
3Readers
Mendeley users who have this article in their library.

This article is free to access.

Abstract

Background: Ureteroenteric stricture incidence has been reported as high as 20% after urinary diversion. Many patients have undergone prior radiotherapy for prostate, urothelial, colorectal, or gynecologic malignancy. We sought to evaluate the differences between ureteroenteric stricture occurrence between patients who had radiation prior to urinary diversion and those who did not. Methods: An IRB-approved cystectomy database was utilized to identify ureteroenteric strictures among 215 patients who underwent urinary diversion at a single academic center between 2016 and 2020. Chart abstraction was conducted to determine the presence of confirmed stricture in these patients, defined as endoscopic diagnosis or definitive imaging findings. Strictures due to malignant ureteral recurrence were excluded (3 patients). Statistical analysis was performed using chi squared test, t-test, and Wilcoxon Rank-Sum Test, logistic regression, and Kaplan–Meier analysis of stricture by cancer type. Results: 65 patients had radiation prior to urinary diversion; 150 patients did not have a history of radiation therapy. Benign ureteroenteric stricture rate was 5.3% (8/150) in the non-radiated cohort and 23% (15/65) in the radiated cohort (p = < 0.001). Initial management of stricture was percutaneous nephrostomy (PCN) in 78% (18/23) and the remaining 22% (5/23) were managed with primary retrograde ureteral stent placement. Long term management included ureteral reimplantation in 30.4% (7/23). Conclusions: Our study demonstrates a significant increase in rate of ureteroenteric strictures in radiated patients as compared to non-radiated patients. The insult of radiation on the ureteral microvascular supply is likely implicated in the cause of these strictures. Further study is needed to optimize surgical approach such as utilization of fluorescence angiography for open and robotic approaches.

Cite

CITATION STYLE

APA

Yeaman, C. T., Winkelman, A., Maciolek, K., Tuong, M., Nelson, P., Morris, C., … Krupski, T. L. (2021). Impact of radiation on the incidence and management of ureteroenteric strictures: a contemporary single center analysis. BMC Urology, 21(1). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12894-021-00869-6

Register to see more suggestions

Mendeley helps you to discover research relevant for your work.

Already have an account?

Save time finding and organizing research with Mendeley

Sign up for free