Histological determination of cariously altered collagen after dentin caries excavation with the polymer bur PolyBur P1 in comparison to a conventional bud bur

2Citations
Citations of this article
7Readers
Mendeley users who have this article in their library.

Abstract

Background: To compare the polymer bur PolyBur P1 (P1) with tungsten carbide bud bur H1 SE (H1) in removing cariously altered collagen during dentin caries excavation. Methods: Fifty extracted teeth were split in the center of a carious lesion. The 100 specimens were randomly divided into 5 groups. Five dentists were asked to excavate 10 teeth each: one half with P1 and the corresponding half with H1. The time needed for caries excavation was measured. Subsequently, histological specimens were produced and analyzed by light-microscope after Mallory-Azan-staining. The thickness of remaining cariously altered collagen was measured (< 1 mm or > 1 mm). The results were statistically evaluated. Results: The average time to excavate a cavity with P1 was 254 (± 148) sec and 202 (± 129) sec with H1. The difference in times was not statistically significant (p > 0.05). In the group P1 in 66.1% of the sections cariously altered collagen remained, whereas 33.9% showed sound collagen. In the group H1 45.7% sections had remaining cariously altered collagen and 54.3% showed sound collagen. The difference between P1 and H1 was statistically significant (p = 0.004). In the group P1 the layer of cariously altered collagen was significantly more often thicker than 1 mm than in the group H1 (p < 0.05). The variable "type of bur" had a statistically significant influence for the presence of cariously altered collagen (p = 0.003). Conclusions: Conventional H1 bud burs were significantly more effective in removing cariously altered collagen during dentin caries excavation than the polymer bur P1.

Cite

CITATION STYLE

APA

Lohmann, J., Schäfer, E., & Dammaschke, T. (2019). Histological determination of cariously altered collagen after dentin caries excavation with the polymer bur PolyBur P1 in comparison to a conventional bud bur. Head and Face Medicine, 15(1). https://doi.org/10.1186/s13005-019-0205-9

Register to see more suggestions

Mendeley helps you to discover research relevant for your work.

Already have an account?

Save time finding and organizing research with Mendeley

Sign up for free