Measurement Systems Software Engineer
Corning is one of the world's leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people's lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Our Optical Communications segment has recently evolved from being a manufacturer of optical fiber and cable, hardware and equipment to being a comprehensive provider of industry-leading optical solutions across the broader communications industry.This segment is classified into two main product groupings - carrier network and enterprise network. The carrier network product group consists primarily of products and solutions for optical-based communications infrastructure for services such as video, data and voice communications. The enterprise network product group consists primarily of optical-based communication networks sold to businesses, governments and individuals for their own use.
Scope of Position:
Are you an individual with strong technical curiosity and a real passion for technical leadership, and the ability to learn and share with others? As part of a global team, you will provide integrated measurement solutions to Corning's Optical Connectivity business and deliver best in class components to our customers.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- You will work with a dynamic team from a variety of multi-functional groups to define, develop and implement product measurement and instrumentation systems. Your team will include colleagues from Technology Development, Manufacturing, Division Engineering, and IT. Together, you will industrialize and standardize measurement applications and architectures for consistent data flow and reporting among processes and regions.
- Provide technical leadership and expertise to design, develop, and deploy integrated measurement systems to global manufacturing facilities.
- Participate in all phases of projects including design, off-line integration and testing, installation, production start-up support, training of plant personnel, and technology transfer. Provide problem solving support for equipment and process issues during equipment installation and start-up phases, identify root cause and implement corrective actions.
- Transfer new technologies from early stage development to a product ready for installation in a manufacturing environment.
- Support and Upgrade legacy Product Conformance Testing applications to function within state of the art development and runtime environments (programming language, OS, and data acquisition hardware).
- Create/update documentation for release to production including machine specifications, operating procedures, and drawing packages.
- Train engineering, maintenance and operations people how to use and maintain the measurement systems. Assure quality and repeatability of processes and measurement systems software.
- 0-15% travel domestic and international (US, Brazil, Poland, China)
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or Automation/Controls Engineering
Required Years and Area of Experience:
- Minimum 3-5 years' work experience in measurement systems development, test equipment integration and/or software development.
- Experience in manufacturing environment: Optical assembly manufacturing preferred
- Knowledge and experience in Visual Basic 6 (VB6), C#, or VB.Net software development
- Computer-based measurement equipment setup and support, manufacturing test systems and/or instrumentation experience
- Experience in data acquisition system interfacing either through direct API calls, SCPI protocols, or other communication protocols
- Basic understanding of Oracle or SQL Server (Select/Insert/Update statements) in a client/server system development environment, stored Procedure calls or dynamic SQL
- Desired Skills:
- Working knowledge of test equipment used to characterize various fiber optic assemblies. This can include, but is not limited to - equipment capable of measuring optical power loss, attenuation (OTDR), interferometers, and microscopy (end-face inspection) equipment.
- Experience in RS232/USB/GPIB interfacing to data acquisition hardware
- Optical Communication product test methods, characteristics and data acquisition hardware experience
- Experience with LabVIEW development tools, image capture systems and relational database design
- Experience in Manufacturing Execution Systems
- Experience with Microsoft Windows Communication Foundation (MSMQ, Web Services, etc.).
- Experience in the use of Source Code Control systems
- Experience working within a team of developers on a single source code project
- Work in multi-cultural and technical project teams as a leader and/or team member to meet customer needs and requirements
- Strive to make sound decisions by blending analytical thinking with good judgment
- Validated project management experience leading projects individually and on teams to execute projects on time, on budget, and with expected results
- Strong verbal and written interpersonal skills
- Strong initiative and accountability for actions/behavior
- This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.