Marine Systems Engineer
Salary depends on level of appointment:
Technician Engineer - £22,361 to £26,119 pa
Engineer - £28,644 to £33,260 pa plus a Recruitment and Retention allowance of £2,500.
You may also be eligible to claim relocation costs of up to £5,000.
The Marine Systems Engineering team is based at the National Oceanography Centre in Southampton, which is one of the world’s top oceanographic institutions. This multi-disciplined centre is home to world leading research into the ocean environment, national marine data assets and the Marine Robotics Innovation Centre.
Our marine network is deployed at remote locations off the coast of the UK and consists of buoy, light vessel and island mounted weather stations. Met Office Marine Systems are part of the Observations team and are responsible for the full weather station and power systems installations on these platforms and ongoing maintenance of these systems. We also develop and maintain a fleet of voluntary observing ships host automated systems and provide engineering support to the UK’s contribution to the international Argo programme.
Observations are fundamental to almost all the services the Met Office provides. There is an increasing demand for more observational data and new and innovative ways of meeting the customer requirements for data.
You will be responsible for designing, developing and maintaining electrical systems for data collection equipment, electrical power systems for renewable marine energy and renewable power generation and storage systems. You will also be involved in installation and maintenance of deployed weather stations and platforms, including off-shore work on buoys, light vessels and remote islands.
We are advertising this job across our Technician Engineer and Engineer roles and the offer for the successful candidate will be based upon the assessed level following the selection process. Exceptional candidates may qualify for the higher role and salary band.
To design, develop, maintain and improve electrical systems for data collection and renewable marine power generation. The role also includes installation and maintenance of deployed weather stations and platforms, including off-shore work on buoys, light vessels and remote islands.
- Use electrical and electronics knowledge to contribute to specifications and develop solutions to engineering problems thereby ensuring the continued operation and improvement of marine environmental observing systems.
- Develop verification and test procedures to ensure that electrical and electronic systems meet both internal quality and international standards.
- Carry out maintenance and installation work as part of a team, both on shore and at sea, to ensure that the established marine fixed site network is working as efficiently as possible.
- Work within and contribute to the H&S system (risk assessments, method statements, medical and training) to ensure that working practices are safe in accordance with legislation.
- Write processes and reports that contribute towards the incremental improvement of the network and equipment in it.
- Provide technical advice and produce specifications for procurement of equipment.
Essential Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
- NVQ Level 4 or higher, or equivalent experience, in electrical and/or electronic engineering or a field that includes these subjects
- Experience of renewable power sources and storage in an operational environment
- Ability to interpret 2D and 3D CAD drawings (AutoCAD and Solidworks)
- Ability and willingness to work at sea and at heights of up to 10m (training will be provided).
- Evidence of a flexible approach to meeting work requirements with the ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team, including being prepared to work away from home as required to meet business requirement.
- Full UK driving licence or ability and willingness to attain one. Engineers also require Colour Perception CP2 or better to drive vehicles in ports.
- Evidence of sound oral and written communication skills that allow effective communication of engineering concepts to people with technical and non-technical backgrounds.
Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
- Evidence of experience of marine electrical, electronic and renewable power systems
- Experience of maintenance of instrumentation systems and working knowledge of test and inspection hardware and software.
- Knowledge of health and safety legislation
Additional Supplementary Information
Whilst this temporary post is for 2 years , there is the potential for it to develop into a permanent position.
Successful candidates will be required to pass the working at height and ENG1 seafarers’ medicals.
Additional training will be provided as required, including Health and Safety, Meteorological training and Driver training. The Met Office encourage technical and professional development and we will look to sponser any Professional registration and accreditation.
Key Dates: Closing date 28/11/2018 with interviews expected week commencing 17/12/2018. Please note that you will be notified if you are successful or unsuccessful.
For operational reasons this post will be based in Southampton
The NOC site has free parking for staff, excellent public transport links and an on-site restaurant. The Met Office provide additional benefits such as a competitive occupational pension scheme and a generous annual leave allowance (27.5 days annual leave plus bank holidays, rising to 32.5 days).
To apply, please click on the link below and attach the most recent version of your CV, along with a cover letter which briefly (no more than two-pages) states your experience against each essential and desirable criteria.
Recruitment and Retention Allowance of £2500 pa, available to candidates appointed at Engineer level
More searches like this
- Chemical Engineering Engineer £30,000 - £39,999 Full Time jobs in Southampton
- Physical & Earth Sciences Engineer £30,000 - £39,999 Full Time jobs in Southampton
- Engineering Engineer £30,000 - £39,999 Full Time jobs in Southampton
- Mechanical & Electrical Engineering Engineer £30,000 - £39,999 Full Time jobs in Southampton
- Civil & Structural Engineering Engineer £30,000 - £39,999 Full Time jobs in Southampton